Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer Sausage - First try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Sausage - First try

I picked up a 5 lb manual stuffer from Cabela's bargain cave a few weeks ago. Trying some jalapeno summer sausage for the first time out. These are going on the smoker tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	summer sausage.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	456754

Looks good! Looking forward to hear how they turn out!

Comment

Love me some jalapeño smoked sausage. Looking forward to see pics of the finished product.

Comment

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Lufkin isn’t TOO far from me....... hmmmmmmmm, I may have to find a reason for a road trip! In fact, I believe one of the airports I’m responsible for IS Lufkin. I may have to plan an inspection up there and check out Renfro’s for lunch! Thanks for the tip Jerod Broussard !

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        RickyBobby it is a commercial operation. They sell it at Brookshire Brothers.

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Roger that, sound like more research is in order. Thanks!

Smoked to IT of 160. Rinsed in hot water for about 45 seconds then into ice water bath until 100 IT. Click image for larger version

Name:	summer sausage 2.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	457242

Comment

Ok - took about 40 minutes in the ice bath to get below 100 IT. I'm new to this. My understanding is you want to drop the temperature quickly to minimize how much the casing shrinks. Let's forgo the Seinfeld shrinkage jokes. These seem fairly plump to me. I'm basically following a publication from North Dakota State University for processing instructions. Although I smoked at a higher temperature (200) and cooked to IT of 160 instead of 155. I don't plan to slice until tomorrow after they have fully cooled. Also, not sure more pics of the same two cased sausages at different steps in the process are all that interesting.

Name:	image_57295.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	457273

Comment

Looking good! slice it up!

Comment

Couldn't wait. I'm full from dinner but the wait was killing me. I'm really happy with the result. The sausage has a nice heat to it & I really like that it's not greasy, like some store-bought summer sausage.

Name:	Sausage 4.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	457373

Comment

Looks amazing! Although, in the name of unbiased ness and science, it’s probably only fair that you send some samples out to deserving AR members (ahem) for taste testing. You know, because we ALL love our own..... I humbly offer my delicate palate ....... you know, ....... for science and such.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Caught on pretty quick, eh?

Looks great! But following a recipe from NDSU I'd expect nothing less. 😁

Comment

It does look good!

Comment

That looks awesome.

Comment

Looks beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here