Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brining Sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining Sausage?

So I have had corned beef brisket brining for the past couple of weeks with today being the targeted day for smoking. About 10 last night I realized I hadn’t taken out the Texas hot links I wanted to smoke for lunch today with the pastrami. Didn’t want to leave them on the counter to defrost and knew they wouldn’t be ready if left in the frig so I chucked them into the brine with the brisket hoping this would do the trick, it did. Pulled them out this and thought oh,oh not a good idea, they were too plump. Tossed them on the smoker thinking they would just burst and make mess, checked an hour later, they hadn’t burst and they appeared to be done so I pulled them off. Cut into the first one I could not believe how much moisture was retained and the flavor seems to be better to boot.

So I’m thinking the next time I’m doing homade Sausage I will brine for 8-10 prior to smoking unless somebody feels this unwise?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	11CD40A1-EA7E-4EF3-B62D-58E613A0068D.jpeg
Views:	436
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	456308

I Don' do much sausage other than venison sausage I make, but seems to be fine if it has already worked for you with good results. Are they a breakfast sausage?

Comment

Tasty lookin'.

Comment

The only thing I would worry about is over doing the nitrite. Especially if they're an actual cured sausage. But if it tastes good and you don't get sick and they're only in there a short time, perhaps that's not a valid concern. Although the specifics from a chemistry and safety standpoint I don't know about myself.

Comment

Love me some homemade sausage

Comment

I wouldn't mix it up myself. Viewing preservatives as a do it all is not a good idea.

I make my own cured sausage but I use a dry cure with guidance from Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages.

Comment

Thanks for the input! The sausage is fresh uncured but the recipe does call for Morton’s tender quick so I agree it would not be wise to not repeat the experiment with anything that contains a curing salt.

I might try brining the sausage in kosher salt though. I’m not sure if that was why it came out so juicy but worth a little test.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here