Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas beef sausage recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas beef sausage recipe?

Does anyone have a sausage recipe for the beef (or early all beef) sausage from Franklin BBQ or like South Side Market in Lockhart? Could get ingredients from Franklin's YouTube clip but he very carefully omits any measurements/volumes. 🙄 I could guesstimate but why reinvent the wheel if someone already has a prototype that is already pretty close to round... Thanks!

I may have generic ratios for certain types of beef sausage and lamb like Merguez. It will will balanced but you may have to scale. I will try and find it by tomorrow.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

HorseDoctor , Google brought this up fer me; perhaps some will be of use?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, have seen that one from The Spruce. It may be as close as I'm gonna get. Will help with ratios at least. Thanks!

Franklin did do a short video on sauage making in his BBQ with Franklin series.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, seen that a number of times, even tried to guess the measurements but he very carefully avoids any weights or volumes in his video. 🙄 That's the question I'm trying to answer...

Here's what he says in his book. He doesn't give a specific recipe, but, rather, gives guidelines, as in the video:

"Generally speaking, a good rule to follow for sausage is 70 percent lean, 30 percent fat. At Franklin we get there by mixing about 60 percent Prime-grade brisket, about 10 percent pork (mostly from the pork butt), about 27 percent raw brisket fat, and around 3 percent all-natural beef hearts for depth of meaty flavor.flavor. When coming up with your recipe, you must consider both the amount of fat you want to grind into your stuffing and the fat content of your meat. For instance, because we use Prime-grade brisket, I add less pure fat than someone who is using Select. Meat from a heritage pig like a Duroc or Berkshire is going to have more fat than meat from a conventional pig. It’s something you have to judge for yourself.

Seasoning a sausage is a measure of balance. The spices are there to enhance the meat and the savory appeal of each bite. It’s important not to overspice, as you don’t want to drown out the flavor of the meat. When you’re tweaking your recipe at home, season, then break off a small nub of the filling mixture, shape it into a patty, and grill it. Taste the cooked sample for seasoning and add more if you need to."

Franklin, Aaron. Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto (Kindle Locations 2212-2218). Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. Kindle Edition.

I didn't look up the specific quote, but elsewhere in his book and in his TAMU video on trimming brisket he makes a point about not using the deckle fat (between the two brisket muscles) for sausage because it does not render well. An off-camera voice in his TAMU video says something about it being higher in saturated fat than other areas.
    Last edited by gcdmd; August 24, 2017, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, I think it is a little like the kidney fat in beef. Not what you want in sausage. I've read Franklin's book also. The little weasel carefully doesn't tell you everything.

The above made perfect sense. Sausage/forcemeat/farce is all a techique and acquired skill and taste. He told you what he used and why. I never, ever, evermake a sausage,meatball, meatloaf etc... without cooking up a portion first.

i have a merguez and Landjäger recipe if you would like. As far as trying to recreate his sausage I wouldn't have a clue. What type of sausage are you trying to make?

Comment

HouseHomey I'm trying to recreate Texas beef sausage. Pretty simple beef with mild-moderate heat. Can buy it from Southside Market in Elgin for a fair price but shipping is an "arm & a leg". Would appreciate your merguez recipe. Thanks! Just sent 200# lamb to processor and having them just bag the trim for me to make merguez rather than grind burger.

Comment

I've made a pretty good "brisket" sausage that is 80% chuck roast /20% brisket fat trimmings. As a starting point use the Big Bad Texas Beef rub as the seasoning. You need liquid to make sausage easier to stuff into a natural casing, I use 2 cups of left over Mop sauce. Good smoked sausage needs a binder, I use 1 cup of non-fat dry milk. Blend the mop sauce, the non-fat dry milk and the seasonings together in a blender, before adding to the meat. Mix the blend with the meat and stuff into 38-42 mm hog casings. After stuffing, let the casings dry to the touch in the refrigerator. I like to smoke the sausage at 165F until a meat temp of 152F is achieved, then shower with cold water until an internal temp of 110 or less. (keeps the sausage from wrinkling). They are then ready to cook on the grill (however you like) when you want. Since they are already smoked they keep for quite a while.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here