Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Sausage

Click image for larger version

Name:	sausage.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	35500

I thought I'd start a thread for all of you Pitmasters who love making your own sausage at home. The field is wide and deep: most of us begin with simple country patties or Italian sausage stuffed in natural pork casings, and a few eventually evolve their involvement into the artisanal charcuterie category where you need to be uber careful with controlling humidity, temperature and smoke to create things like pepperoni, chorizo, prosciutto, etc. I'm not there yet but have been making my own sausage for about 4 years using wild game and pork. I grew up on a farm, but learned how to stuff sausage from a butcher in Annapolis, MD.

I'll start with my faves: Polish, Italian (Sweet, hot and mild), Bratwurst and Country sausages all made from pork and/or a mixture of pork and wild game. I get mixes from a Buffalo, NY, company called sausagemaker dot com. I use a 7 lb. Westin stuffer (hand crank) and a 1/3 HP LEM grinder. 5, 10, and 20 lb. batches that I link using natural pork casings and vacuum seal in large coils. They are great if cooked in your smoker or browned over your grill.

My next project is to unlock the secrets of Boudin, and experiment with some European sausages like Landjager, Goteborg, and Hungarian.

I'll try posting a tutorial with pictures the next time I make a batch...if anyone is interested that is.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n35500[/ATTACH]
    ... I'll try posting a tutorial with pictures the next time I make a batch...if anyone is interested that is.
    Yes, I'd be interested! Around here where I live is Mennonite country and there's a place just north in a town called Hague that makes the best Mennonite sausage. They sell it as a length 36in. and folded in half. It's an all pork meat but when cooked ends up somewhat dry with subtle flavors of garlic and onion and smoke. Very tasty. It would be fun to replicate that

Comment

I think this would be a great thread!

Just in time... I've had a LEM 5lb Sausage Stuffer sitting on the wishlist since 10/13. Today #1 asked if she should order it for Xmas. I said no due to space constraints... but I might re-think.

Below is a cool link. I believe I mixed up a batch of the Hot Italian. Nothing beats grinding your own pork and spicing your own sausage!

Complete sausage making guide with tutorials, recipes, and tips on equipment and techniques.

Best,

--ed

Comment

Dad and I made 130 or so pounds last winter. Deer and pork picnic mixed. I got three deer so far this year.

Comment

After I came back from Jamaica I had to try my hand at the amazing jerk chicken sausage we had while there. I came up with a recipe that did a great job of replicating the complex flavors and heat... and have completely forgotten how I did it. Notebooks man, notebooks.

Comment

Always interested in sausage recipes and tips. I make a cajun sausage from pork butts that I bulk freeze for breakfast sausage. Pork butt, sage, red pepper flakes, liquid smoke, water, salt & pepper and cure. Good stuff. I try to mimic a sausage that my father in-law used to bring back from Mississippi, but I've never quite gotten the same results as the stuff he used to bring.

Comment

I love making sausage! I'm down with all this.

Comment

A local venison processor here makes sausage (patty and link) as well as venison "slim jims" which I assume are just jerkied sausages.

Boudin is like our hash we make locally for hash and rice: if made well it can be the food of the Gods; if made poorly the raccoons won't even touch it when you throw it in your outside trash cans.

Great thread idea!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150207_153103.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	62135 Last Sat. pure pork Italian, mild and spicy, then some xxx hot....can't wait to smoke some.

Comment

• Beefchop
                    Beefchop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice looking coils!

Finally, the price of pork seems to be going down. I don't know if it is excess Super Bowl stock or just specials they're running locally for Mardi Gras, but I've started to find picnics for 99 cents a lb. and ribs for 1.99 a lb.

I like to use picnics to cut up and grind for sausage, and 99 cents is a great price!!!

Comment

I would love some sausage recipes. I have always loved sausage but am an amateur at it. I can formulate the seasonings but am challenged with the prep and cooking procedures

Comment

• Dr ROK
                      Dr ROK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If there's a specific recipe you're interested in, let us know and we'll help ya out!

Originally posted by oldebill View Post
                    I would love some sausage recipes. I have always loved sausage but am an amateur at it. I can formulate the seasonings but am challenged with the prep and cooking procedures
                    i'm sure the avid sausage makers here have seen it, but there is a very large collection of recipes here . Although I've got a couple of recipes for Andouille, I'm anxously waiting for Meathead's recipe to appear. I've also got some ground lamb I got at a bargain that's been waiting for me to try my hand a merguez. Now I'm torn between the recipe at the link I posted and the one here.
                    Last edited by Tucson Bill; July 13, 2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                      Dr ROK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great link Tucson Bill. I for one had not seen this one.

For those who are interested in reading some in depth books about the entire process, there is an excellent book by Marianski. Lots of recipes in there too. I'd be really interested to hear from other forum members here who are making dry cure sausages, and what equipment they are using. I'm a budding novice at sausages, but would like to make some "salumi" one of these days and would be nice to learn from those more experienced

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here