Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Direction For Smoked Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Direction For Smoked Sausage

Hey Guys,

My plan is to do some pork/beef smoked sausage for Saturday. Usually i just make the sausage before hand, vacuum seal and when im ready for them i just thaw and smoke at 275 or so until ready. I also dont use any prague powder for this method.

The issue im facing is that i wont have access to the smoker on Saturday so wanted to make at home, smoke them and when i get to the event just throw them on the grill.

What is the best method to do this? Do i hot/cold smoke? Do i use prague powder? I saw a method on yourtube where they are hotsmoked to 150, put in an ice bath to stop cooking and vacuum sealed. Is this best?

Thanks in advance.

For this, I'd just hot smoke, ice and freeze, then start thawing the night before and grill 'em. If you have a SV machine, you can bring them up near temp in the morning and then just sear them. Be careful about overcooking when you get to the final part. Sausage wants to be juicy! The method you mention looks good. No prague powder needed in this case.

Comment

Ok thanks, will try and see how i get through

Comment

reopening this thread since it is the same sort of question I have.....

My Gear:
        Pit Boss K22 kamado with ceramic deflector shield
        Flame Boss 300

I am going to try to make sausage using Meathead's recipe, but will be using Prague Powder to be on the safe side. My intentions are to smoke the sausage and store them for a few weeks until I go to the hunting camp. At that time we will most likely grill them.

My question is as I have seen many different smoking techniques on line using different temperatures and different times, I would like to hear some suggestions.

I do have a vacuum sealer so I can freeze them. I also would like to keep some for after deer camp so I can grill or cook inside for spaghetti, etc.

I was reading other sites for tips and found this website:

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/mea...g-process.html
        • Keep the temperature inside the sausage smoker between 160 and 165 degrees F.Max.

If you try to smoke at any higher temperatures, the fat content in your sausage will start to melt and ooze out of the casing.

Fat is important. Not only does it add to the flavor of your sausage, it acts as a binding agent. Once it starts to melt, your sausage will become dry, crumbly, and much less tasty.
        • Take your sausage out of the smoker when it reaches an internal temperature of 152 degrees F.

Showering
        • Once your sausage has reached the correct internal temperature (152 degrees F.), it needs to be cooled quickly and thoroughly or the casings will shrink and shrivel.

This happens very quickly once the links are taken from the smoker, so you need to have things ready in place for the showering process.

Showering really just means cooling the sausage quickly with water.

If you have made a large batch, the most efficient way shower it is with a garden hose. Simply remove the sausage with the racks or smoke sticks and spray them with cold water. The goal is to cool the sausage down to 120 degrees as quickly as you can.

So, With my Flame Boss I can get the temp to stay right around 165.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
        Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here