Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packed up 10# of sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packed up 10# of sausage

I stopped at the store tonight looking for cheap beef to do on the grill. No luck on that, I am too cheap to spend $7/lb for cheap grade beef when I can get chicken or pork for 1/4 the price. Found pork butts on sale for $.99/lb and bought a 2 pack. I have wanted to do some sausage for about a month but my wife has banned me from the kitchen and my shop has been around 90 degrees for the last month. Today was closer to normal for this time of year, so I seized the opportunity.

If you have never tried to make sausage (especially in the summer), the biggest part of it goes like this..
    1. Put meat in freezer for an hour
    2. Put _____ parts in the freezer for an hour (grinder/mixer/packer)
    3. Remove meat and ____ parts.
    4. Put on clean gloves.
    5. Do what ever step you are up to now
    6. Clean up work area and equipment.
    7. Wash your hands
    8. go back to step 1

Step 6 and 7 are the most important part, unless you can benefit from loose stools and you see a quick jog to the bathroom as exercise. You will be handling raw meat off and on for 4 to 6 hours. It is best to do your work quickly and efficiently to keep the meat temp as cool as possible.
    I did 5# of cajun sausage and 5# of kielbasa. They will go on a smoker tomorrow, I just have not decided which one. There is a chance of rain and whether we get it or not will be the deciding factor. I packed them in 38mm casings and they should take around 3 hours at 225.
    Sorry no pics at this time as I was trying to get done as fast as I could and was pork slimed during most of it and didnt want to transfer that to the phone

Would love to see your recipe for cajun sausage if you're willing to share.

Comment

• rat88
      rat88 commented
      Editing a comment
      no big secret on my end. I get bulk spice mix from sausagemaker.com.
      I do kick it up a little with extra garlic powder and crushed red pepper. I run the pepper through the spice grinder to hide it a little better

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used sausagemaker for lots of stuff. That's where I bought my stuffer. Good company. Haven't tried their cajun sausage spice mix.

Dad I make well over 100 pounds once year and that is enough for me.

In fact next year I am making more breakfast type patty sausage since we should have plenty linked stuff left.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I make all my own sausage for my catering business and it's all bulk. I freeze it in one pound packages and use as needed. The links are an occasional treat I do, but it is a hell of a lot more work than just bagging it up. Did some cheddar jalapeño brats last time, really tasty, but not sure they are worth the work.

Pork snakes are on. Started with maple wood, might throw on a little cherry next hour. Hammered deer jerky on the lower shelf.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Go cherry! Of course I did some with straight Hickory and man talk about a sweet smoke flavor.

2hrs in and looking good. I dont post pics to brag, I am getting old and senile... this is a good way to time stamp stuff. Hit a little stall, which is good for this, more smoke!! The rain didnt hit and the smoker I was gonna use is running 115 with 50% sun and no fire. The temp was running a little high, but I am done adding wood, so the burn out will average 225.... kind of an "un" reversed smoke and sear

Comment

they are on the cooling rack now. The slice looks a little dry, but if you zoom in you can see it is flooded with juice. I over shot the jerky, but that is "dog treats" for the pitmaster anyway

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here