Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Sausage on The Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Sausage on The Kettle

Today's cook was 5 Italian sausages on my 22" Copper Weber Kettle. I used about a 1/2 chimney of well lit Kingsford Blue Bag in my Slow 'N Sear. The sausages were on my new grill grates, cooking indirect, wide-open vents. I used this AR article as my guide. I poked about 3 small holes in each sausage to prevent a blow-out of the casings. I used a ThermoWorks DOT and needle probe in 1 sausage to cook to 160 IT and used my TempTest 1 (ThermoWorks) to make sure all the sausages were at 160. My camera's focus was having issues so the photo is a little blurry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6307.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	177214

Looks good, but are you sure the blur wasn't caused by excessive application of adult beverages?? BTW - a local processed meat provider, ( Boar's Head), was sampling chicken Italian sausage at a local grocer the other day, and I thought it was very good. I also thought it would be better on the grill...
    Last edited by RonB; June 6, 2016, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I didn't use any wood and this was plain old off the shelf sausages - nothin' special, and they were guuuuud and juicy.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good FuzzyD!
        I'M still waiting for Meathead to find his polish sausage recipe
        Last edited by Powersmoke_80; August 6, 2016, 08:05 AM.

I love Italian sausages fuzzydaddy you need to try MH beer brats recipe it is fantastic

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I've added them to my list of cooks. Yep, I have a list :-)

I know this thread is now slightly old, but I'm looking to grill brats tonight and this is just what I was looking for. I've read the other way with braising and all but figured I would start with the basics.

fuzzydaddy My biggest question after reading the article you linked to is do you cook them at 400 indirect with lots of lit coals and vents wide open as suggested in the first half of the article, or do you set it up to cook at 225 as stated in the second half of the same article? If you cook closer to 400, how long does that take?

Comment

Originally posted by PBCDad View Post
        I know this thread is now slightly old, but I'm looking to grill brats tonight and this is just what I was looking for. I've read the other way with braising and all but figured I would start with the basics.

fuzzydaddy My biggest question after reading the article you linked to is do you cook them at 400 indirect with lots of lit coals and vents wide open as suggested in the first half of the article, or do you set it up to cook at 225 as stated in the second half of the same article? If you cook closer to 400, how long does that take?
        I cooked indirect around 400 with vents wide open. About a 1/2 chimney well lit. It was around 1/2 hour.

Comment

fuzzydaddy a good approach. Blowing out the casing on brats/sausages scares a lot of people, as the resulting grease flareups have them running for an extinguisher. Even living in Wisconsin, i do see this a lot and its unfortunate. If you take your time and cook indirect as you described.... it would save people much anguish, prevent wasted food dollars and (limit) the exorbitant cost associated with refiling your kitchen ABC fire extinguisher. I think a lot of times there is too many other things being cooked at the same time... rarely is the sausage the star of the show, but if you get a good quality sausage link like the Italians you cooked, proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! When poking the holes, do you distribute them along the length or the circumference? If they are all on the top, does the juice spill out when rotating the sausages?

Comment

I was random in my holes and a little juice came out but not enough to make them dry like over cooking will.

Comment

Well I narrowly averted a disaster, I set my max temp on my Maverick but forgot to turn the alarm on. I caught it just in time though, and they came out great. Heated up some sauerkraut on the stove, toasted the buns, a little Dijon mustard, and I felt pretty fancy Thanks fuzzydaddy for the inspiration and for blazing the trail for me!

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	204821 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	204822

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great color on those and dressed nicely too! Glad they didn't get cremated.

PBCDad, Here's some info on our photo uploading process to help explain why your photos aren't right side up.

When taking photos some phones, apple phones included, don't attach "which way is up" info to the photo, so our forum software guesses. Often it guesses incorrectly. You can fix this by using your phone's photo editing software to make a really minor change to the photo. You can crop the photo just a tiny bit, for example. When the editor saves the change to the photo it also attaches the "which way is up" information that our forum software needs. After that the photo will display as it should when you upload it to The Pit.

Comment

Name:	image_25198.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	204893 fuzzydaddy, Your Sausage's look Great! 👍👍👍👍👍. I wish I could have "Liked" your Post!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

PBCDad , when I click on your photos, they're right side up.

Have you tried smoking sausages in your PBC? Here's a copy of a post that I just wrote a couple of days ago on another topic about how to modify a sausage basket to hang from your rebars:

I always hang a sausage basket filled with Italian sausages in my PBC every time I smoke chickens in it. That smoked chicken/sausage combo is delicious and the drippings from the sausages add some nice flavor compounds along with the chicken drippings during the cook.

Supposedly, sausages shouldn't be taken higher than 165 degF internal temp or so, but I take mine in the PBC up to 185 or more, ensuring a nice crispy skin and a great bite. Sometimes I even out the tan lines from the sausage basket by browning them under the broiler for a couple of minutes, but most of the time I don't.

The PBC runs at 325+ for chicken, so the sausages go along with that. They're done in about half an hour to 45 minutes.

Here's the sausage rack that I modified for hanging in the PBC:

Name:	image_2724.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	204901

Cut off the wooden portion of the handle and thread onto the rebar or hang on a hook from the rebar. If you do that, then you get this:

Name:	Sausage Basket modified 1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	204902

And finally this:

Name:	Sausage Basket modified 2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	204903

Yummy.

Kathryn

P.S.
                    I've got 4 of the sausage baskets modified, so I can smoke 24 sausages at a time if I wish. They hang so efficiently that you could probably get twice that many (or more) in the PBC if you had a mind to.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here