Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage cooking technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage cooking technique

Like so many others on this site, I've been reading and enjoying J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's new book The Food Lab. His recommended technique for grilling sausages is to first braise them in a pan directly over the coals, then finish them over direct heat to promote flavorful browning. I tested his method on some brats, and also cooked a few brats at the same time with the more traditional reverse-sear method. The braised brats were quite a bit more tender than those cooked with the reverse-sear method, and I've been braising my brats ever since.

On a kettle grill, I've found his braising technique severely limits the number of brats I can cook since the traditional setup with all the coals on one side of the kettle limits me to one pan of brats. If I'm having more than a few people over to watch a game, or I want leftovers, I'll typically want to cook at least two pans of brats. After playing around with the grill during several cooks, I've come up with a way to cook two pans at once. I'm always looking for ways to improve my cooks, so if anyone else would like to share their experiences braising sausages I'd love to hear them.

The fire setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0031.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	155920

Brats on, braising in beer

Name:	DSCN0032.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	155921

Brats have hit 150, time for some browning

Name:	DSCN0034.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	155922

The finished product

Name:	DSCN0035.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	155923

A few observations to share:

While braising, the brats need to be flipped and rotated halfway through cooking to ensure they all cook evenly. Count on the ones directly over the coals to cook the fastest, but with the braising liquid the difference in cooking rates isn't too extreme.

The brats seem to go from 120 to 150 in just a few minutes. Once they start to warm up, check them frequently to avoid overcooking them.

I'm not a fan of sauerkraut so I just braise mine in beer, but you can use about any liquid and seasoning that you like.

Supermarket pork works great since it is leaner and doesn't flare up so easily. The brats in the photos were made from Berkshire pork and the extra juices cause an instant inferno and a split casing whenever I get them directly over the coals. That's why you see them just to the right of the coals in the 3rd photo, and I still got some splitting on nearly every brat. I gladly welcome any suggestions for preventing a split casing when working with Berkshire.

If anyone else has experience implementing J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's braising technique, I do hope you'll share your thoughts. The technique really does produce great sausages.

This is a great method. Cooks illustrated had an article recommending doing sausages the other way around, brown then braise. I tried to perfect it but never did like it because the braise would "rinse" off much of the browning. I switched to Kenji's method a while back and love it. Brats are superb that way. Reminds me I have not done them in a while, time to pick some up!

Comment

You nailed it to the wall, so to speak. Perfect. We use the same idea at the restaurant for our Italian links. I use this method at home for currywurst, as well as many other sausages; and adjust the braising liquid to the type of sausage, as well as the end use of said sausages.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you use for a braising liquid on the Italian links?

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't give that recipe, as it belongs to my employer.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Strat50 - Bummer, but I understand. I will have to ask some of my wife's Italian friends for some pointers.

MattTheGR8, I may give your Method a try. Your Brats look GR-8! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

MattTheGR8 being from the great state of Wisconsin, I've been braising-then-browning brats and sausages in this fashion for a long time. I've done this on charcoal, the gasser and even a pellet grill with varying degree's of success. Charcoal has the smoke flavor component going for it, but the gasser with grill grates is my preferred method now.

About the only thing i was missing was... what to do with the "brat bathtub" that was leftover. There is a lot of flavor in that tub and it always seemed a shame to me to simply throw out. Then i read about Meatheads "Touchdown Tailgate Brat tub" that he published here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hot_d..._brat_tub.html . Now, all is right in the world and the people that i've cooked brats for now say they prefer to do it this way too. Pay it forward and spread the love!

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the reminder.

If quantity is an issue, you can always braise them in a big pot on the stove and then take to the grill and brown them in batches.

Comment

Braising it on the stove first is the best idea. You get little to no flavor from them braising on the grill; just using more fuel.

Comment

MattTheGR8 Great Job. Those look mighty tasty. I use just about the same method that you do. I always have trouble getting the temp of the bath down when i am braising them on the grill. I usually do that on the stove then move them to the grill from there. ON IOWA AND GO HAWKS!!!

Comment

• MattTheGR8
              MattTheGR8 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Spinaker, and Go Hawkeyes!

Brilliant setup, MattTheGR8 . It's always fun seeing someone think outside of the box. Those brats look doggone tasty too. Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

• MattTheGR8
              MattTheGR8 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Kathryn. The split casings are still a challenge, but I'll keep trying.

I use a cast iron griddle with a grill grid on the opposite side. The grease won't drip into the coals and flare. Those look really good by the way. Sounds like you are grinding and stuff your own links? Look very professional!
            congrats!
            Yeah im a huge food lab fan too

TD

Comment

• MattTheGR8
              MattTheGR8 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the tip TrickyDick, I'll have to try that sometime to see if helps me reduce flareups.
              For the record, I do grind and stuff my own sausages

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here