Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Right Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Right Stuff

Hello everyone. I’m looking into a new adventure..curing and smoking meats and sausage. I have no experience as of now. Read Rytek Kutas’ book: Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. Somewhat lost as the proper smoker for the end product, namely, a proper smoker used. Today I bought Masterbuilt MES electric, thinking this would be O.K.. Any others might be good or better.? Can this adventure be made easier? “Lost in Wisconsin”. Thank you.

Hey why not.
    Electric wouldn't be my first choice but give it a whirl, that being said there was a very notable Pit here that made fantastic smoked meats all with electric smokers.
    Do some learning on that and augment with charcoal or stick burning units as you hone your craft
    Last edited by smokin fool; February 11, 2023, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto on learning your smoker.

I know we have more sausage people here but maybe texastweeter can help?

Comment

Electric works great for sausage as long as it is thermostatically controlled. Be sure to get you a very good grinder and stuffer, i use LEM products. Some bug tubs with lids for storing/fermenting grinds. Also a good digital scale that measures into hundredths of a gram if you plan on using curing salts. What types of sausage are you wanting to make? Andoullie, hot gut, summer, breakfast, and Italian ore some of my staples.

Comment

Your Masterbuilt will serve you well for your sausages. As you get into it your first wants will more gear for processing, grinding and stuffing. texastweeter ‘s post above is steering you right. Get the first few batches done and then start exploring the world of sausages. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes

And damn, this is my 5000th post. I must talk too much.🙂

Comment

I struggled for a long time and almost gave up with sausage and a grinder attachment for my mixer. Getting a decent grinder and stuffer changed all that. I never stuff with the attachment, and only use that attachment grinder when doing 10lbs or less.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. The adventure continues.

Comment

I have an electric and have used it for smoking the sausage I have made, works great. I can program the temp and times with the Auber controller it comes with. Works perfect!

I think I’ve posted about it a bit in the past, that and some of the charcuterie I have made. If you are up for an adventure, that is fun to do as well! Doesn’t require smoking but it’s fun to make!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here