Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Saisage Caseings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural Saisage Caseings

Is it me, or have natural sausage caseings quality gon down over the years. They seem to blow out way more often than they used to, are much shorter, and much more variation in size. Is there a better brand that the typical LEM natural hog caseings that I have always used?

I’ve only made sausage once but I got them from the meat counter at a local grocery store that I know makes their own sausage. I don’t think it was a common order because the butcher looked at me kinda funny when I asked but he went into the back and put some in a container for me.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, one casing from the grocery counter was all I needed for 15 lbs of sausage plus there was a few feet left. I now get them from the grocery counter. The dry salt packed casings were tough and variable in size.

Switch suppliers 😀

Comment

The times I’ve made sausage, I got my casings from Southern Indiana Butcher Supply https://butchersupply.net/ I’ve been very happy with the results.

Comment

I get all my casings at The Sausagemaker...I never have a problem with their products..This is especially important when using sheep casings..they are hard enough to deal with..https://www.sausagemaker.com/

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe you’ll get lucky with some leftover cyber Monday deals on natural casings… “slightly used” 😉

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you.

Just curious, has the quality gone down during the pandemic over the last two years?

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems to be now that you mention it.

It's probably not you. My son got a "home pack" from LEM (via Amazon, I think) and they were not good, short and stringy,

I use these pre-tubed hog casings from Craft Butcher's Pantry (Link) Excellent casings and very consistent. A full hank (100Yd) for $29

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I'll probably try these.

I don't even know what brand we use, I just know dad picks it up at a local store and we've never had blowouts. We've been making sausage every year for about 9 years.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221129_133318.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1335895

Found a bag

Comment

I picked up a supply from a local butcher. Have had no problems. Getting near the end of that supply I’ve just ordered some from PS Seasonings.

Comment

Get collogen casing. You'll never have a blow out.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Hate their texture.

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried them once and didn’t care for them. Bought them from LEM. Are there better ones out there that you use?

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter and Donw I agree on the texture. That is why I don't use them anymore, but never had a blow out! I believe I got mine also from LEM. Yesterday a pack of collogen casing fell out of my outside frig. 5 years old and still looked good as new.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here