Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jewish-Chinese Christmas Menu: Deli Meat Fried Rice and Pastrami Egg Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jewish-Chinese Christmas Menu: Deli Meat Fried Rice and Pastrami Egg Rolls

I'm not Jewish, but some family members are, and I came across this dee-licious take on a good brunch menu for the holidays while the grown kids are home with their families:

First is the Deli Meat Fried Rice Recipe in which I would substitute my own hot Italian Smoked Sausage for the hot dogs and of course use my own Amazing Ribs-recipe pastrami.

What's not to like about fried rice with salami, smoked sausage, and pastrami, topped with a perfectly fried egg and a few bits of broccoli for garnish (just to appease the veggie gods)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jewish Chinese Xmas.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	127744

And what is served alongside? Pastrami Egg Rolls. Yowza. Does this sound like a great brunch or what? Add some champagne and a delicious lager and you've got it all covered. Uh, except for the little kids. They get orange juice.

I looked online for good pastrami egg roll recipes. Nothing goes with pastrami (in the fried rice) like more pastrami, IMO.

Now for the pastrami egg rolls: I went looking for a recipe that has a high pastrami-to-other stuff ratio. I can't find a good-looking one through Google, so I'm just going to wing it.

I'm going to pile some pastrami, sauerkraut and a mustard mixture with honey, mustard and kefir wine mixed together (as Ed Schoenfeld from Red Farm describes) into an egg roll wrapper, seal, coat with egg wash and roll in some panko and fry those suckers up... at least that's the plan. DH and I are going to have a test run next week when I fire up the PBC and smoke a few pastramis for the sons-in-law to gorge on, er, eat while they are visiting with the rest of the family. These guys are serious pastrami hounds. Well, heck, who isn't?

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Kathryn

That is intense to the nth degree....

Comment

If I've learned anything from TV it's that you need a duck.

Comment

...and TV is always right, _John_

No duck for us. It's going to be a Very Pastrami Christmas (brunch).

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man, Craigar, that's a bummer. I hope you balance out that meal with some good home-smoked food either before or after the Stouffer's ordeal.

I will indeed post photos.

Happy Holidays to you!

Kathryn

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc, thank you for the condolences Kathryn. Once Mrs. Craigar Claus allows me to unwrap my new SnS I will be a smoking fool that weekend. However, Christmas Eve one of the boys is bringing over a ham he wants me to toss on the grill, so I have that going for me. If you would like to take my place at the in-laws, you're more than welcome to go.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Uh, thanks anyway, Craigar, but I'll pass on the invite to take your place. Enjoy your visit to the inlaws.

And congrats on the SnS! Act surprised when you unwrap it...

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here