Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer Brats... Perfect Beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer Brats... Perfect Beer?

I'm an ale man. I gravitate towards British bitters in general (and fresh Real Ale is to die for), but after trying 6-ish different beers for beer boiled bratwurst, I have to say it has been best with Pilsner.

I've tried:
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Bitburger Lager
    Beck's Lager
    Fuller's ESB Ale
    Pauliner Oktoberfest
    Krombacher Pilsner (and a few craft brew Pilsners in the Austin, TX area)

The Pilsner (which I don't care for as a drinking beer) seems to be just right for a brat boil. Some hops flavor develops, but isn't overpowering as when I tried regular German lagers or English ales which came out a bit too bitter to my palette.

I first prick the bratwurst on two sides with a knife (three pokes each side, I've found poking all sides didn't seem to matter) then brown the brats over 350 degree grate temp, direct heat with some wood chips thrown in for light smoke flavor. Then I transfer to a disposable aluminum pan (or an enameled steel one, if I feel like doing dishes afterward) and pour in two bottles (11.2/12 oz) of beer (enough to cover the brats). I then let this boil for 30 minutes turning the brats once midway. I've heard from friends "these are the best brats I've ever had" several times.

What have you used for beer in beer bratwurst? Results? Favorites?

Uh...this sounds awesome. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Flavorsavor View Post
      Uh...this sounds awesome. That is all.

I second this!

Comment

Old Milwaukee works great for me. Cheap too.

Comment

I make a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar reduction for brats. Get a large bottle of the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Sometimes they are hard to find. Take the bottle pour it into pot and heat. Then throw in some sliced onions and put the brats in the bath once the beer is simmering. Then then reduce the beer down. (About 15-20 mins) Once the reduction is down to about an inch of liquid left, throw the brats on the grill. Let the reduction go until it is turned into a syrupy onion mixture. I take the brats off the grill, put them in buns and spread the beer/onion reduction over the brats. Its heavenly. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

• Munch
            Munch commented
            Editing a comment
            Would butter affect the syrupiness?

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Munch I don't know for sure, but I bet it would kick it up a notch. Try it out!!

I have to agree. Pilsner is just about the perfect match for sausages. I enjoy a Newcastle Brown Ale during the cooking session, but pilsner to accompany the food

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here