Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry, crumbly hot dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry, crumbly hot dogs?

Hi y'all!

So #1 and I watched another episode of "Food Court Wars". This couple ground and stuffed their own hot dogs. Name of their restaurant is "Slum Dogz"

1 recipe was ground beef hot dogs, the other was a mixture of venison / wild rice. Looks like they grilled them on a standard restaurant-grade flat top. (Wonder if they could've used GrillGrates!)

On two separate selling days, most customers complained that the hot dogs were dry & crumbly, and that they really wouldn't buy these dogs again.

Just curious, and here's my question: What did these guys do wrong? Bad casings? Also, not sure if they added water to their mixtures before running them through the stuffer.

Every type of store bought dog / sausage that I cook / grill are generally pretty juicy. I've also bought some $$$ Boarshead beef dogs (with some special casing) and these things just snap & pop juice. (Love my GG's on the gasser)

Any insight is greatly appreciated, TIA!

-- Ed

Any dry crumbly sausage I end up with is a sausage that is waaaaaaaaay too lean.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks JB, that makes sense. I recall that I didn't see a great deal of marbling with the beef, but the venison looked fairly well marbled. Very interesting!

I grind my own Boston butt for pork sausage, and I understand that 80/20 (meat/fat) ratio is a good thing.

I've only ground chuckie twice to make burgs (stupid beef prices), but they were "off the chain!"
      Last edited by Medusa; November 28, 2015, 04:15 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, what sort of venison was it? I've never seen any wild venison with marbling. Any and all fat has been extra-muscular. If they ground it up with rice that might give the appearance of marbling.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 28, 2015, 04:45 PM.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, can't answer the ? about the venison, but I think the overall answer lies in the fat content, especially the beef. The venison did appear to be marbled as shown when they cut it up before running it through the grinder. I think they added the rice during the stuffing process.

Venison is very lean and for this reason is usually mixed 50/50 with pork when making sausages. And even then it can be crumbly. I'm not surprised this is what happened if all they mixed it with was rice. Also, venison isn't mass market so people don't know what it's supposed to taste like, all they know is it doesn't taste like what they're used to.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      We do 60/40 and 70/30 pork:deer.

I do 50:50 with deer and bacon ends. THAT IS GOOOOD!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here