Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fully frozen or partially frozen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully frozen or partially frozen?

I am about to make pork breakfast sausage for the first time in a number of years, so I went to youtube to refresh my memory. I actually did remember how to do it but ran across one video that said using fully frozen chunks of meat was the best way to grind it. Everything else said partially frozen was the way to go.

I cut the pork into chunks, laid them on a parchment lined sheet pan and froze them. I then placed in a zipper bag removing as much air as I could. I'm hoping freezing first prevented the chunks from sticking together as that would make grinding frozen chunks a breeze. Grinding frozen sure would be easier because I wouldn't have to thaw and then partially freeze. Has anyone ground fully frozen meat?

Edit to add that I am using the plastic grinder attachment with my Kitchen Aide.

I have not done fully frozen. That said, I have not grind all that much meat as well. But, interested to see how this works for you. I have the fancy equipment, need to get it out and put it to use!

Looking forward to some pics too

Comment

I’ve never done fully frozen per se, but I have ground venison that I would consider more than partially frozen….. if that makes sense. I have a stand alone STX Megaforce 3000 grinder with an 800 watt motor and haven’t had any issue. I’ve never used the KA grinder, but I’d certainly be curious to hear how it goes for you.

Comment

Partially freeze and place the grinding attachments in freezer too till ready to grind.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I will t ry a small piece or tw frozen, and if that works, I will continue. If it doesn't work, I'll let the meat sit out a while.

Comment

I would be careful grinding fully frozen meat. I ground some partially frozen meat a couple weeks ago because it didn't thaw out over night as good as I wanted . I do not understand where this idea of freezing the meat and grinder parts. I grind thousands of pounds of meat every year and never freeze any of the meat or grinder parts. Get your knife good and tight on the grinder plate and it will grind..

Comment

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              Murdy I understand the concept. I make sausage with a mn dept. Of agriculture meat inspector looking over my shoulder almost every week. My question is more if the kitchen aid grinder is capable of grinding fully frozen pork. Or the grinder hand grenading. I won't grind fully frozen meat and my grinder mixer has a 10 hp three phase motor. I am not concerned I don't have the power but more what will it break!! Partially frozen it will eat like butter but I can hear it make funny noise too

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              Backroadmeats -- Gothca. That is a good question, how a non-commercial grinder would handle something fully frozen. I worked with commercial equipment too, once upon a time, and we'd stick whatever we were going to grind into the walk-in freezer for 45 minutes or so, so it was never frozen hard.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the reason I included the grinder I have. I'm not sure if it would survive frozen meat.

I shared this back in February 19. It's an article from Food and Wine. It works for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211220_144309.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1145432 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211220_144402.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1145433 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
            Click here to read our detailedreview

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review