Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Want of a Hot Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Want of a Hot Dog

All of the hot dog threads from the past few months left a powerful strong craving in me. I decided that I've had enough, I must have a hot dog. But such a sublime food item mustn't come from humdrum outfitters such as Walmart or Neiman Marcus. No, I must have the best. What, pray, is the only hot dog that will satisfy my craving? Which will fill me to satiety? Why, Omaha Steaks Gourmet Jumbo Franks of course!

Click image for larger version

Name:	348s.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1143208

But this can't be just a slap together hotdog. No, this requires planning. So I started yesterday by putting a chuck roast on the SnS kamado for a couple of hours to get a little smoke. I then cubed it up, browned in a skillet, and made chili. Not plain jane chili but Troutman 's Chili con Carne , chili at its most basic and refined. The official food of Texas. (And Steve's recipe is damn good).

Name:	chili1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1143212

Name:	chili2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	1143210

Name:	chili3.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	1143211

So, to be at it's peak chili must (like good Gumbo or beans) rest overnight. Tonight I fired up the SnS kamado yet again and set it up for reverse searing. I placed those little cylinders of meaty goodness on the indirect side to get a little taste of pecan smoke before getting a nice brown striped overcoat on the hot side. Gotta watch them temps!

Name:	hit dogs1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	1143209

Name:	hot dogs2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1143213

To serve I placed them lovingly in artisan hotdog buns with a little Dijon mustard (if its good enough to serve in Rolls Royces its good enough for me) and since I'm Texan I added a little ketchup. We Texans aren't completely uncouth, I used Gourmet Ketchup, says so right on the bottle. I usually only bring it out when company is coming over. Topped with Steve's excellent chili and some Mexican cheese blend, a wonderful meal indeed!

Name:	hot dogs3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1143214

Man. Now that’s a Doggy! Nothing like a good hot dog. Yum.

Comment

Love it, brother!!! Your prose is coming along nicely, too, almost to Complete Bullsh!tter level!

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        We Texans call it "Tellin' Tall Tales"

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinnin A Yarn, I was raised...

NEVER let th danged ol Truth git in th way, y'all!

I most definitely possesses both a PhD, an a Master's in CBSL, though!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I just thought I was a bullshitter……..🤓
        Last edited by Panhead John; December 17, 2021, 05:45 AM.

Great write up and great looking dogs, but no chopped onions? Up here we put them on both chili and hot dogs.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited then saute em awnyawns up in some bacon grease,butter, lard, etc, fer a wee few mikes, soften em up to yer taste, Amigo...

They're only Better, that way...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 16, 2021, 08:46 PM.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Caramelized Onions, so sweet to eat.
        Hot dogs are amazing with the chili a blazing
        PBR in the stein Oh so fine
        Crispy Tatar tots, and Thanks a lots

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Sid P but he put ketchup on it….. agree, needs onions!

Now that’s what I call dressing the hog !!! Nice job David, you’re getting good at this

Comment

I'm sittin' here shaking my head while my mouth waters.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahaha

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yer doin
          Well
          well, then Brother!

I'm still shakin my mouth, while me poor ol head waters LOL

Please Stand By...

Recalibration in Progress...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 17, 2021, 06:58 AM. Reason: ]

My mouth is watering. I’m smoking a brisket this weekend and there will no doubt be leftovers (17lb packer for six people 😎). Chili is in my future, and I’m def doing a chili dog like this!

My normal method for a "quick" dog is to cook a couple pieces of bacon in a skillet. Once bacon is nearly done toss in a couple Kirkland beef franks to fry in the bacon grease.

Toast a couple of buns, hit’em with French’s yellow mustard, then load the dogs and bacon. Top with Grillo’s dill pickle chips…and if I’m feeling spicy a quick shake of Tajin!

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Santamarina I was just talking about that kind of hot dog you get at the farmers market. Bacon wrapped and topped with grilled onions and jalapeños. Now I want to go to the FM.

58limited I loves me a good chili dog! What chili recipe did you use?

NVM, I just saw your reference to the recipe.
        Last edited by lostclusters; December 17, 2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Hot Diggety Dog!

Comment

....yer killin me....

Comment

Great looking dogs!!! (ketchup)?

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that’s what I was thinking…..ruining a perfectly good chili dog with ketchup😱….and I like ketchup.
                Last edited by Panhead John; December 17, 2021, 10:49 AM.

We’ve had those Omaha Steaks hot dogs, they’re excellent!

Comment

Just the chili, cheese, onion for mes' if you please.

Comment

So much work for 4 chili dogs, haha!

Reminds me of a video I saw by Babyback Maniac where he fired up a Ranch kettle to reverse sear a single hot dog...

Comment

While at Sam's Club a few years ago we came across a package of Nathan's Dogs that are 1/4 pound apiece, have that good snap when sautéed and are perfect for us. We still get them to this day but only find them at Sam's and BJ's (occasionally). We freeze 4 to a pack because the chili dog sauce can only lasts for 4 dogs which is two meals for us.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here