Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canned Vienna Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    My mom used to make me a canned lunch when I worked plowing our wheat fields in the summer. It was two cans of Vienna sausages, a can of shoe string potatoes, and a can of coke. In her defense she had to be at work by 7 am so there wasn’t a lot of time to spend on lunch.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    DogFaced PonySoldier I had money saved and just took off for the hills so to speak. The trip ended when the money ran out. I was in Los Angeles at the time and just found a job that turned into a 35 year career in medical equipment sales.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    Jfrosty27 That's flipping awesome. How did you support yourself for a year? Did you have some money saved up or work odd jobs while you traveled or what?

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    DogFaced PonySoldier I was on the road just over one year. What an adventure it was! Best thing I ever did for myself. A very long story. Short version is I was in a bad place personally at the time and the time off allowed me to get things right.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; September 17, 2021, 11:44 AM.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    That sounds like an incredible time! I bet there were some adventures to be had... How long did you stay on the road like that? Sounds awesome!

Makes me want to hit the road for a month or two in a van with a Weber kettle and an ice chest!

• Bkhuna
    replied
    They make excellent bait for most pan fish. Another reason to keep a can in your tackle box.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    replied
    Vienna sausages and Keebler club crackers were just about the only food we ever took on overnight fishing trips with my father and grandfather.

Keeping the cycle going, our nearly three years old grandson would eat Vienna sausages (he calls them hot dogs sometimes) every meal if allowed.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    Yes memories for sure. When I was in my early 20’s I decided I needed a break from life to figure some things out. I sold or stored all my possessions, bought what I’ll call a "hippie van", (we’re talking late 70’s here) and hit the road. I bought a case of these along with other canned or dried staples for backup food. Some of my best memories are of sitting by my van enjoying some incredible vista somewhere in the middle of nowhere and munching on these sausages and drinking a beer. I wandered around the country for about a year and I guess I figured it out because my first job post wandering set me on a career that was perfect for me and allowed me to retire early and relax all over again. Were the sausages responsible? Of course not. 🤣. But every time they come up, I think back to that time.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    For me it was hunting trips with my father in law. They do bring back some good memories. Always ate them with saltine crackers.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    Yep, the memories these little jewels in a little can bring back can be powerful. Mine is sitting on the back of a farm truck having lunch with my Father while picking watermelons. Vienna sausages, soda crackers, and a Coca-Cola in a glass bottle.

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    We keep them in the house. Wife and son eat them, I eat them once in a while.

Apparently the German Shepherd thinks they're filet mignon or just plain crack.

<edit> And yes... only Libby's, and only the regular flavor.
    Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; September 17, 2021, 09:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    replied
    My mother did not serve us canned Vienna sausages, but I had my share of canned meats (C-Rations) in the Army. Beans and Wieners was available, but my favorite was either Tuna, Boned Chicken or good old Beef-potatoes-gravy (or also known as beef and shrapnel). And yes, those do bring back memories.

Leave a comment:

• Debra
    started a topic Canned Vienna Sausage

Canned Vienna Sausage

NO!!
    I can NOT stand to eat them but they will always give me a warm feeling from my lifetime memories of having them readily available.
    My Father was an absolute fan of them and ate them until a few weeks before he recently passed at 97.
    Libby's brand right out of the can. None of the fancy new flavors for him just the original.
    He farmed and ranched and considered them to be the ultimate survival food.
    There were always a couple of cans of them on his tractors, pickups, and even in his saddle bags. Always an extra can for his herd dogs as a snack.
    He ate them for one of his final lunches while under in home hospice. We could not get him interested in anything else but he did manage a few bites of the beanie weenies as he called them. (it always seemed so strange to me that he would call Vienna sausage beenie weenies but he refused to eat the real beanie weenies
    They do have an interesting story.
    Do you have a nostalgic fondness for vienna sausages, those mini hot dogs in a can? We've got the background on this canned meat, plus five recipes.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here