Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another Hot dog Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another Hot dog Question

OK, so in keeping with the hot dog theme this week my question is:

When cooking a hot dog on your grill, boiling a hot dog, as with boiling ribs, should be a federal offence much like high treason....

Do you simply heat it up till it reaches and tasty temp and color?

OR.....

Do you cook it till is splits wide open like a butterfly and get a bit of a sear going?

Personally I go the butterfly method, with a seer even blackening up the casing a bit.
    Inquiring minds wanna know....

I like mine blackened a bit, too. But honestly, I’ll eat them boiled, or microwaved, or off rollers, or from a skillet, whatever.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Like this for me too

Air Fryer

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      How Interesting, our insta-pot has an air fryer attachment. have to give it a try.

We typically cook ours on a George Foreman grill. Fast and easy way to get some char on the skin.

Comment

Good temp, color and a bit of char but nowhere even close to being split in two. I don’t mind if someone is splitting them in two for service after removing them from the grill but I see it as a presentation thing so I never do it.

Comment

Cooked to a light to medium char.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Wut he sed ˆ

For skin off dogs, moderate heat and not too much char. Skin on dogs are cooked slower, then seared to crisp the skin. Not too hot. This is if I have fire. For inside cooking, a pan with just a dab of oil is my fave. Same mores apply.

Comment

My wife loves her hotdogs to have some char - the more the better. Its actually hard to get that with skinless dogs like Nathan's that we prefer, but I generally grill until the ends start to split a little, and it has some char.

Comment

Indirect until plumped. Then a quick char.

Comment

The hot dogs are for the kids, while the adults eat brats, so I just throw them on the griddle just before the brats are done.

Comment

Hot dogs heated in hot/simmering water is a much loved NYC tradition. We call them "dirty water dogs." So I can't go with you on the boiled dogs point. But I have recently rediscovered the pleasure of a nicely grilled dog.

Comment

• kjbarth
                  kjbarth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This^^^^. Wife and I like grilled but I like boiled/simmered too, sometimes in beer.

Over Fire, no messin around. Cook em then eat em, arghh, arghh, arghh! Mebbee wrap em in a tortilla, yup, with onions & mustard.

Comment

Smoke in my Traeger, boil on stove, heat in a microwave, fry in a skillet, buy at 7-11--cheese and chili sauce, wrapped in foil at a ball game, over an open flame, add to mac and cheese,
                  How do I eat the
                  Let me count the ways

Comment

My way to heat up wieners.
                    Water, bullion/stock, some red/yellow onions, whole peppercorns..
                    Boil up, add the wieners and let them simmer a few minutes..
                    Serve..
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210930_161837~2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1103307 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210930_162815~2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1103308 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210930_164122~2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1103309
                    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; October 1, 2021, 01:00 AM. Reason: Added pic's

Comment

Those look like amazing wieners. I have to say, almost sounds and looks like wiener soup. It just needs some diced onions, carrots, and potatoes.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
                        Elton's BBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks!

• GBA
                        GBA commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That should be Cream of Wiener soup

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here