Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another Hot dog Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Hot dogs heated in hot/simmering water is a much loved NYC tradition. We call them "dirty water dogs." So I can't go with you on the boiled dogs point. But I have recently rediscovered the pleasure of a nicely grilled dog.

Leave a comment:

• Bogy
    replied
    The hot dogs are for the kids, while the adults eat brats, so I just throw them on the griddle just before the brats are done.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Larry
    replied
    Indirect until plumped. Then a quick char.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Wut he sed ˆ

• jfmorris
    replied
    My wife loves her hotdogs to have some char - the more the better. Its actually hard to get that with skinless dogs like Nathan's that we prefer, but I generally grill until the ends start to split a little, and it has some char.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    For skin off dogs, moderate heat and not too much char. Skin on dogs are cooked slower, then seared to crisp the skin. Not too hot. This is if I have fire. For inside cooking, a pan with just a dab of oil is my fave. Same mores apply.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    Like this for me too

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Cooked to a light to medium char.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    Good temp, color and a bit of char but nowhere even close to being split in two. I don’t mind if someone is splitting them in two for service after removing them from the grill but I see it as a presentation thing so I never do it.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCullip
    replied
    We typically cook ours on a George Foreman grill. Fast and easy way to get some char on the skin.

Leave a comment:

• GBA
    replied
    Air Fryer

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    I like mine blackened a bit, too. But honestly, I’ll eat them boiled, or microwaved, or off rollers, or from a skillet, whatever.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    started a topic Yet another Hot dog Question

Yet another Hot dog Question

OK, so in keeping with the hot dog theme this week my question is:

When cooking a hot dog on your grill, boiling a hot dog, as with boiling ribs, should be a federal offence much like high treason....

Do you simply heat it up till it reaches and tasty temp and color?

OR.....

Do you cook it till is splits wide open like a butterfly and get a bit of a sear going?

Personally I go the butterfly method, with a seer even blackening up the casing a bit.
    Inquiring minds wanna know....

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here