Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another hot dog question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another hot dog question!

With all the Hot Dog questions going on recently I would like to ask a question to settle a 40 year debate in my household.
    My Husband is an absolute Hot Dog addict!
    Given the choice between a Ribeye steak and a hot dog he will chose the Hot Dog every time. NO doubt in my mind whatsoever. Mustard, and onion only on rare occasion chow chow.

We have always debated Beef Hot Dogs vs Pork Hot Dogs vs CHCKEN Hot Dogs.

His unwavering opinion is Beef period, end of story. In a pinch Pork will work. He absolutely does not consider Chicken worthy of being called an actual Hot Dog. He actually refuses to eat them and he can tell the difference with the first bite if I try to sneak them in.
    General concensus of the board?
    Is there REALLY a difference?

Absolutely there is a difference IMO. For me in the same order of preference. Chicken only if I'm starving!

Comment

Debra I certainly agree that chicken hot dogs have a different taste and consistency than beef, pork or a mix of beef and pork. Our favorite hot dogs that are readily available in stores around here are Nathan's. I think those are all beef. I've also tried Hebrew National, also all-beef, but like the spices and flavor of the Nathan's better. And we absolutely love Johnsonville brats - the uncooked all pork ones. My kids and I love them. The wife likes them but says they are unhealthy, so we don't get them often.

You can tell a difference from one brand of dog to another, and even more so, one like some of the crappy Oscar Meyer's that mix turkey, chicken and pork together and call it a wiener. Your husband apparently has discerning taste in his choice of hot dogs! . Just suck it up, and get him the same brand of beef hot dog every time (try Nathan's if you haven't). No one needs to eat hot dogs every day though. It ain't healthy...

All that said... when I was a kid back in the 1960's and 1970's, I preferred a hot dog to a steak, because they were easier to chew and I could gobble my hot dog down, ask to be excused, and run back out to the great outdoors, to play. My parents and little sister would still be in there chewing on their tough, overcooked steaks for another 30 minutes of play time. In later years, I discovered that I liked steak if it was quality meat, properly prepared. The tough cheap steaks my dad incinerated on a crappy grill in the 70's were neither!

There are still times I crave hot dogs or burgers, and don't want a steak. But right now, if a great steak is in front of me, or a couple of hot dogs - I'm going with the steak!

Comment

Have to agree on the All Beef dawgies being at the top of the heap.
        Have to disagree where there's steak involved, gotta go with a rib eye steak over a tube steak.
        I'll eat regular hot dogs and even the chicken and turkey variety.
        I don't mind them, yes they do taste different but my gut don't care as long as its full.

Comment

I eat the Johnsonville or Usinger's turkey sausages at times. I find that they are much more palatable texture-wise if they have a little cheese added in to them. Same may be true of dogs if there is such a product. I assume you are trying to incorporate chicken dogs for health reasons. If so, read the nutrition labels on whatever sort of dogs you are buying, they can vary quite a bit, even within a given type.

Comment

Huge difference in taste between the three. Beef is much better than pork and far superior to chicken.

My recommendation if you are trying to be healthy is simply grind and make your own sausage or hot dogs. You can use better quality ingredients and likely customize the flavor profile towards something he would like while still using healthy ingredients. It’s pretty fun to do!

Comment

I eat more hot dogs than I should. There’s usually a zip lock bag in the fridge with grilled hotdogs in it. I buy the all beef ones,There’s a big change in flavor with any thing else. I will never, ever, turn down a ribeye in favor of a hotdog. As far as brands it’s Nathan’s if it’s for guests and Ball Park if it’s for the wife and I.

Comment

All beef.

Beef and pork is okay if you’re being served them at a picnic.

Chicken and turkey hot dogs fall into "why?" territory. They don’t taste as good, cost the same (or more), and aren’t any better for you health-wise. If you’re that concerned, make something else instead, I say.

Comment

I agree that chicken hot dogs and (for that matter) sausages are a different animal. Good, but their own thing, so to speak. I've started making my own since I received a high blood pressure diagnosis. I've dabbled, through the years making sausage and charcuterie, so maybe this can help.

Beef ,or a beef pork mix, is king. The flavor and texture is classic for a reason. Turkey and chicken do not, and cannot, really be given, the robust flavor you get with beef.Hot dogs made from fowl have their own leaner and lighter flavor. Good for some stuff, but "flat" tasting when served like one would serve beef dogs. The texture is different too. Don't get me wrong, I make a fair bit of sausage from fowl, but I don't use them in the same way I would use the same sausage made from red meat(s).

As far as brands? Most of the national brands are edible. Nathan's, Hebrew national, and so forth are okay. Most are incredibly high in sodium, from what I've seen, which is quite unhealthy. Since most commercial hot dogs are made to have a long shelf life, this is understandable. Try your local butcher. Yes their stuff will be more expensive, but usually better, if you like their recipe, that is.

Comment

Nathan's all beef for me

Comment

Being as I’m trying to drop weight I’ve been eating a lot of chicken dogs. I’ve found a couple that I like but I would rather have beef first as long as it had a good casing and properly cooked.

Comment

Despite my love of beef, I find beef hot dogs, while very tasty, to be a bit strong. Not sure if it's saltier necessarily, but something along those lines. I like a good blended dog but I'd eat pretty much any of 'em.

Comment

Nathan's or Hebrew National beef dogs. Spicy brown mustard with a little sweet relish. done.

Comment

Growing up I would’ve always taken a hotdog over a steak. Then when I actually had a good steak later in life that was properly seasoned and not over cooked I realized what I had been missing all those years. Bone in rib-eye is my favorite. I don’t eat hot dogs that much anymore but when I do beef is my preference. Vienna, Hebrew and the Kirkland brand are what we buy. I remember growing up that Ditka was doing commercials for Hebrew national and would plug then on TV and Cubs games.

Comment

Hebrew National hotdogs, They"re awesome. But Deli hotdogs, the ones linked together are really the best. Just amazing.
                              Chicken hotdogs, Not, They are foul, turkey slightly not so bad.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here