Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Best Results — Chicago Hot Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Best Results — Chicago Hot Dog

For best results, throw the Chicago Hot Dog in the trash!!! 🗑

Preparing a hot dog the "Chicago" way is a fool proof way to ruin a perfect hot dog!

Ingredients are:

All beef hot dogs
    Poppy seed hot dog buns
    Yellow mustard
    Pickle relish
    Diced white onion
    Tomato wedges
    Dill pickle spear
    Sport peppers, or small chili peppers

JUST DISGUSTING!! 🤢

Who’s with me??
    Attached Files

Not with u, but I grew up here. It might be an acquired taste tho!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here

Sorry, not me. A Vienna Beef hot dog that’s been "run through the garden" Chicago style is one of life’s great culinary delights. Portillo’s, Gene and Jude’s, NaNa’s - I love them all!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Preach brother !!

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      Give me a Gene & Jude's dog with everything and I'm a happy camper.

I take off the dill pickle but otherwise love em.

What don’t you like about them?

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      WTAF is a "sport pepper?"

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 Here ya go. https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...sport-peppers/
      The one glaring error in the article is adding sport peppers to a beef. A good beef gets giardiniera not sports

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      willxfmr Preach it, brother! Hot Giardiniera for Italian Beef. Sport Peppers for Chicago Hot Dogs. Praise be! Don't let the Devil take you off the true path. Condemn heresy!

Sorry. Not with you at all. To me the Chicago style hot dog is heaven in a bun.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen !!!

With scottranda to much going on in the bun
    Agree pickle on the side along with the pepper
    I'm dumping the onion, most likely the tomato wedges, may sub in ketchup.
    I may even add green olive rings and/or hot pepper rings in lieu of a whole pepper
    Keeping the dawg.
    Really this is one of those questions where there is no right answer, everyone's got there own take

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      "...may sub in ketchup."

Blame Canada (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpgcZ1zYJs)

• synodog
      synodog commented
      Editing a comment
      With you on replacing the whole pepper…green olives or pepper rings would be great.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree completely. There is no one "right" answer. But there sure as god made little green apples, "wrong" answers. Any answer that includes ketchup falls in to the latter category.

Yea no ketchup smokin fool that is definitely sacrilege. Not sure who you are appealing to scottranda but there are a lot of both current and ex-Chitown folks here. Don't be hating on our dog !!!

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm, I'm picking up a vibe here....no ketchup....so, no ketchup on a Chicago dog.

I enjoy a good C-Dog, but I get where you're coming from. I wouldn't like the one pictured as much as proportioning down the add-ons. A hot dog should taste like a hot dog and anything added should just enhance that experience, not outdo it. Coney dogs are another example. Too much Coney sauce and you're just having pseudo-chili with some other stuff.

And cat soup shouldn't be in the same room with anything but maybe french fries.

Stay strong, Scott, let your truth be known!!!
    Last edited by CaptainMike; September 14, 2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      The dog in the pic isn’t a very good example. The tomatoes should be laying down, the peppers should cover the dog end to end, and I’ve never seen yellow peppers on a dog.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      And the relish doesn't appear to be the nuclear glowing green kind

Hmmmm. Criticism coming from the land where they put coleslaw on a hot dog?

(which actually is pretty good, but could also be regarded as excessive)

I actually split the pickle down the middle so its an eighth rather than a quarter, and it drives me nuts when they don't trim the stems off the peppers. With those caveats, hot-dog perfection.
    Last edited by Murdy; September 14, 2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m with you on the pickle. Long ago some places would give you a slice of pickle that was maybe 1/8" thick, but that evolved into the 1/4 chunk they use now, which I often end up eating as a side.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen brother !!!

I love em! I do eat the pickle on the side though.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta be a kosher pickle thought not a dill pickle

Won't git involved with th Chicago Dog debate, that would be divisive...

Do know some Guys /Gals with Strategic Tactical Bombers, if Chicago turns out to be an issue...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 18, 2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Just to be clear, the original post was meant to be a light-hearted discussion on how good/bad you think the Chicago Dog is.

My decisive (not meant to be divisive) view is it should be put in the trash. Now, carry on with your opinions too! 😆

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        You're wrong, but we all make mistakes. It is just that yours is like saying 2+2=5.7.
        Last edited by Draznnl; September 14, 2021, 09:46 AM.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's all fun and games until Mr. Bones calls in an airstrike.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Since Troutman already called in a hit on scottranda, I'll call mine off....

By the way, ketchup on a hot dog IS acceptable 😂🤭

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike I ❤️ you!!! I was getting ready to really screech and then I opened all the comments. Delicious! Pun intended

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn Happy to have given you a chuckle. I have to admit that I cracked myself up with that one as well! Scott is a pretty good sport (pun most definitely intended!) and I'm sure he expected every bit of the "abuse" he's getting.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        In Pauls letter to the Corinthians he wrote: :“When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away the ketchup".

NO to Chicago Dogs!

And while I'm here I'll also say no to Chicago style pizza!

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        ssandy_561 I had to Google that, but it sounds pretty good…

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Boooo from me too!

I love real Chicago deep dish, first introduced to me at Giardano's in 1982. I also love other styles of pizza. I love ALL pizza!

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        ssandy_561 - Beef on weck is good eats!

You all know I'm a transplanted Texan but born and raised in the Windy City. That said, this is what I consider a properly dressed hot dog. Of course it has to have the poppy seed bun (S Rosen supplied) and of course a Vienna hot dog.

As to my love of this near perfect meal, during my college days we would be known to partake in a beer or two on the town. When 2 am would roll around and the bars would close, there was little or nothing to fill your gut but neighborhood hot dog stands.

I'm sure times have changed but I'll never forget ordering 2 dogs and fries. They would dump about half a basket of hot fries onto a sheet of newspaper, set the dogs on top and roll the whole thing up into a neat little package. For a couple of bucks it filled you up and prevented the next morning hangover.

Anyway, those days are long gone for me but the memory will never fade. OK, back to your regularly scheduled program, I'm stepping off my soap box now

Comment

• Mojo0209
        Mojo0209 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s the truth!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Now THAT's a C-dog that I'd dive into. Mostly dog with nice accompaniments.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Been here too many times!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here