Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fatty ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatty ideas?

Toying with doing a fatty for NFL Sunday, anyone have any good flavour suggestions or recipes? Open to anything.

Ernest

Comment

Get a good quality bulk breakfast sausage, roll it tight in cling film and place in the freezer while you prep the smoker.
      Smoke at 225 until 160 IT.
      You don't really need additional rub, most good quality sausages are well seasoned.

Comment

Um, what's a fatty? I'm intrigued.

Comment

Stevehtn its a giant smoked ground meat log, often filled with cheese, onions, peppers, shrooms, ham or whatever else you can think of. I was curious if anyone in the Pit had a classic go to seasoning blend or recipe.

Comment

Stevehtn bbqoaf I normally don't stuff mine, I just roll bulk breakfast sausage and smoke it.

Comment

Haven't "smoked a fatty" since the 70's but it sounds tasty stuffed

Comment

This was my Mexican style fatty.
                Filled with refried beans, yellow rice, grilled jalapeno filled with cream cheese.
                I'd make it smaller next time so it keeps a better shape. Click image for larger version

Name:	Mexican.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	108345

Comment

• w0nq
                  w0nq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks fantastic, I'm going to put it my short list.

Here's a couple I brought to Niagara Eggfest.
                Most recipes call for ground beer or pork with a few veggies (onions,garlic,peppers, whatever) and some cheese.

I had this Egg smoking out the whole place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ExploBac.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	108347

Comment

• Dilla
                  Dilla commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beer and pork ha?🍺

Has anyone tried it with hard boiled eggs inside, along the line of a plowman's lunch?

Comment

• barney
                  barney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I stuff Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage w/hard boilded eggs , shredded cheddar cheese, & sometimes fried hash browns...if we make any...then a bacon weave. ..now you got me hungry gcdmd

I have heard the term for bacon wrapped meat stuffed with all manner of things, I always referred to sausage rolls as fatties. I just did a couple yesterday in fact and they were amazing, a great way to use up coals after a cook. I just rub mine down with honey and coat with my rub, insert a probe in the middle and toss it on. I rotate once in the middle as it flattens as it cooks, I find 180 a good finish time, most of the fat has gone but it isn't too dry.

Comment

I have to do this soon. Y'all have me intrigued. Of the gazillion things I've smoked over the years, never even occurred to me to use ground meat, or especially breakfast sausage, to make a smoked treat. Sounds very tasty

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fat.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	108665 Oh yeah, fatties are great for big TV sports event parties, particularly rival football game at NFL or college level. My go-to is a Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage roll, with a half cup of shredded cheddar, seeded and sliced jalapenos, and wrapped with bacon on sale. Great for throwing on your smoker at 225-250 for about 1.5 to 2 hours. Buddy of mine will host one of these events and cook his meats of choice, and I'll get on my Egg about 3 hours prior to do 2 fatties to bring over to his house. Nothing left for me to worry about cleaning up or taking home after the game is over! Here's one of the most recent one I did, and no I didn't wrap it in foil during the cook, I just put it foil to transport it.
                    Last edited by DJ DeSpain; September 9, 2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I've taken a regular store bought sausage roll, I think it was a Bob Evans maple flavor(but any would work) unwrapped it, and rolled it in brown sugar until it was coated well. Then smoked it for about 90 min until it was 165. My kids still talk about it being the best sausage they've ever had with breakfast. So simple too. Throwing it out there in case anyone wants to try a simple version of a "fatty" of sorts.

Comment

• IrondeQuer
                        IrondeQuer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I make a similar version for my grandson who can't get enough of it. I just use a rub instead of just brown sugar but the rub has a strong brown sugar presence, maybe Dr. BBQ's Big-Time rub. It really is nice and simple.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        IrondeQuer that's cool. I should try a rub next. It's so simple to do that but the young'ns think it's some fancy schmancy thing.

Here's a noob question.......how do you eat it? Sliced on sandwiches? What are the different ways to consume this?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here