Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We Have Launched A New Section On Homemade sausages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just went over the recipes with Chef Ryan and he told me that he made some tweaks to them after our last test round, so I have just uploaded those changes.

Comment

I made the breakfast last night, only difference is my MMF has been altered with some ancho. Going to form patties tonight (casings haven't arrived yet) and give it a try.

Comment

I think homemade sausage is great! I like just about all sausages - but find Chorizo to be really flexible and useful. In case you are looking for some more recipees, below is one that I have been tinkering with for some time - it is as all a matter of your tastes of course. Give it a try:

Homemade Chorizo

Flavoring puree per 1lb ground pork butt:

5-6 dried guajillo chiles
        1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
        1/4 tsp coriander
        3 cloves of garlic, chopped
        1/2 small diced onion
        1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
        1/8 teaspoon cloves
        1/2 teaspoon cumin
        1 tablespoon paprika
        1 teaspoon oregano
        1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
        1 teaspoons salt
        Black pepper

In a dry skillet heated on medium high, briefly toast the chiles on each side. Fill the skillet with enough water to cover chiles. Leave the heat on until water begins to boil and then turn off the heat and let chiles soak until soft, at least 30 minutes.

After chiles are moist, drain the water and place the chiles and all other ingredients in a blender. Puree until a smooth red paste is formed.

Add the puree to the ground pork.

Make paddies or links

Comment

My sausage contribution, spicy something like Andouille

The point of departure for this sausage was:
          Andouille sausage is used in many Cajun dishes. Make your own at home with this easy to follow recipe.

but over the course of many test batches it has morphed to the recipe below.

Most recipes for this type of sausage recommend smoking at 170F or lower. I choose to follow Meathead's advice and smoke at a safer 225F. I doubt that it changes the taste much, but it's probably not as pretty. Then again, being alive to see if it's pretty is a plus.

We can also use this recipe stuffed into 1.5 inch fibrous casings, or just ground for use in jambalaya, gumbo, paella, etc. Obviously, if its just ground, the smoke flavor disappears.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recipe.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	155900

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sausage.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	155901

Comment

• MattTheGR8
            MattTheGR8 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing, I've been looking for a good andouille recipe.

Meathead Did you ever finalize a Kielbasa recipe? I couldn't find it on the free side.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Alas, no. But the andouille is killer.

Meathead , I posted this on the public side, but thought I'd give a heads up here too. The Italian sausage recipe doesn't have hot pepper flakes in the ingredient list. However, one of your recommendations to make the sausage hotter is to double or triple the hot pepper flakes.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            YIKES! Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here