Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brats

Twenty-five pounds of Bratwurst this morning. I stole ideas from @Meathead,J.Kenji, and Len Poli. I have never used cream in sausage before, and i like it. It is noticeable (creamy?) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210502_121608789.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1026151Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210502_105905343.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1026152Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210502_123156985.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1026153

Looks great, I've been wanting to do brats for awhile. Would you share the recipe?

Comment

Sure!
      To get 25 lbs of meat, i added 3.5 lbs of hard back fat to picnic shoulders
      2/3 cup of Kosher salt
      28 grams #1cure
      4T Dextrose
      2T ground black pepper
      3T white pepper
      1/4 cup garlic powder
      1/4 cup mustard powder
      2T ginger powder
      4t mace
      4 eggs
      4 cups of heavy cream
      1 can of Oly

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Dick Anderson Thanks, but what is Oly?

• Dick Anderson
        Dick Anderson commented
        Editing a comment
        Olympia beer. Tumwater Washington

I’m foaming at the mouth!

Comment

All this sausage is gettin outta hand! Let’s keep it goin! 🕶

Comment

Do you deliver?

Comment

Heavy cream? Interesting.. I use milk powder in all my sausages as it helps the sausage retain moisture,. I wonder if the cream does the same thing. Are you gonna smoke them?? Or leave them fresh??

Comment

I'm going to smoke a strand (maybe two), just to see. I wanted the cure mainly for color development, but all that cream kinda negates that.
              Should I smoke them to fully cooked (155*), or just for color?

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                The cream should not negate that. Smoke em!! They will be great!!

I think Hank may come out of retirement Click image for larger version

Name:	Hank.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1026643

Comment

I would smoke them to 160. That is the temp that is considered fully cooked according to the department of health meat inspector that comes to my shop.

Comment

• Dick Anderson
                  Dick Anderson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will do. That's the smart move. Thank you!

• Backroadmeats
                  Backroadmeats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know a lot of people go lower than that.. just posting what my meat inspector says😃😃

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here