Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac n cheese ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac n cheese ???

I found a recipe here for mac n cheese which stated to light up a grill to 350° and smoke for about 45 minutes.

What if I want to add the dish to my offset smoker at about 275° along with what ever else I'm smoking at the time during the last hour or so of the cook time?

Would that turn out ok?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. stir it up to make sure everything is melted and eatup!.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll +1 on this one.
      May take a little longer but should be just fine.

Should work out fine. I’ve smoked it like that before. You might not get a crusty edge in my experience, and you might watch for over smoking on that dish. My .02.

Comment

If you have an area in the cooking chamber that runs hotter, just put it there. If not, it should still be fine.

Comment

It works fine, but I’ll caution that you can get too much smoke in Mac and cheese....I didn’t think it was possible to add too much smoke but you can!! I add a little more milk/cream to thin my rue down more because it will dry out and get thick if your not careful.
        So I’ll smoke it for 30-45 mins then cover it with foil and that has really helped.

Comment

My smoked mac and cheese goes in the smoker for about 20 minutes and then I finish it in the oven. All it needs is a hint of smoke and you get the nice crust (the best part) from the oven.

Comment

Agree with the above. More time, and it will have more smoke (the drier the less smoke), but should work just fine.

Comment

Yup, it'll work at that temp, I do it a lot. (I typically cook @275°~ish...)

Several well-made points above.^^^

Don't over smoke it; Try 20-30 mikes in th smoke, to start, if usin strong wood...

Foil cover, an finish in th stickburner, yer oven, or even crisp it up under yer broiler, last few mikes, with some extry cheese, crumbs, what have ya on top. if'n it suits ya.

Learn an enjoy, dial in on th smoke level ya want, in order to find yer smoker time.
              Wood type, an even cheese type(s) makes a difference, like with all foods, as well.

It all works, make it yer own...

Best of all, take us along, share what ya learned, an ask more questions, as needed. We have Quite Th Hive of collected knowledge, experience, an expertise here, readily available, at our beck, an call!

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                The strong wood is a fantastic point! I cook more with oak nowadays. I used to cook with almond. Almond is great for meat but overpowers chicken and side dishes.

I do it in a Dutch oven at a lower temp with the lid on for about 2 hrs while cooking meat. I unload the meat and Cambro. I open the vents fully and take the lid off to get a crispy broil like consistency on the sides and top. It takes on very subtle smoke flavor because it is burning hot and very clean. Keep an eye on the BBQ temp - it can get really crispy fast if your fire is blazing. 15 minutes can be enough sometimes.

Comment

I've had smoked Mac & Cheese many times but I don't care for it.

I also don't care for the type of Mac & Cheese made with cheese sauce. Being a product of the deep south, I grew up eating Mac & Cheese made with eggs, condensed milk, and macaroni that was baked. Travel below the Mason and Dixon line, especially if you find African-American restaurants, and baked is what you'll find.

This is what Mac & Cheese looks like in my world:

Click image for larger version

Name:	macaroni_and_cheese1.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	924405

Comment

• TheQuietOne
                  TheQuietOne commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do it like my mom did which is with a bechamel (white) sauce. It looks pretty similar. The cheese sauce stuff isn't the best.

• Alabama Smoke
                  Alabama Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks delicious, but I would have added a light covering of bread crumbs before going into the oven. It's the best way cause that is the way my momma used to make it!!

Thank you everyone. It looks like I'm just gonna have to experiment. You all have good advise.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                  Alabama Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Joetee I agree with those who said it needs not so much smoke. I have smoked it before in my PBC in a 12 " Lodge CI skillet for the entire cook...............way too smoky for my taste. I think short time in smoke then cover the pot or take to inside oven.

I put red peppers, onions, and jalapeños in mine, but I smoke them the day before and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Perfect amount of smoke flavor in the stove prepared Mac if you ask me (and everyone else who eats it all).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here