Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found my old lasagna recipe (1975)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found my old lasagna recipe (1975)

And the more things change, the more they stay the same. I don’t do it too different from this. I wing it more, add different things based on how I feel, but, well, lasagna!

Click image for larger version

Name:	9C0B0093-4A9A-4A01-998B-B6F526BCAFDE.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	831849

Clearly a fave judging by the stains!

Comment

Any chance you could type that up? I was born in '76 so the English is too close to the original King James Version.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea give us the New American Standard version

• Porkies
        Porkies commented
        Editing a comment
        You young folk and your jokes!

How about smoking a batch of lasagna?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Dunnit, worth it! Yum

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I've done it several times, following Huskee 's lead. He posted about it several years back and I jumped on that tip like a duck on a junebug.

Kathryn

I used to make my family recipe lasagna, got to the point where the cost of the cheese alone for one tray darn near put me in the poorhouse.
      Went to store bought to keep our house.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        i hear you. I use3 to 3.5lbs in mine. Even buying blocks to shred it's quite an expensive dish.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Any chance you could type that up? I was born in '76 so the English is too close to the original King James Version.

3 medium cloves garlic
      1 lb ground round steak
      1 29 oz can tomato purée
      1 large onion
      1 6oz can tomato paste + 1 can water
      1/2 tsp dried oregano
      1/4 tsp dried basil
      1/4 cup red wine
      2 tsp salt
      1/2 cup fresh Romano cheese (ie, not from a can)
      1 lb box lasagna noodles
      8 oz mozzarella cheese

350* oven
      9x13 lightly greased pan

Chop garlic fine. Brown with beef. Drain grease. Combine tomato purée with onion in blender until smooth. Add to meat along with everything except noodles and cheese. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.

To build lasagna: cover bottom of pan with 1/3 of the meat mixture. Grate 1/3 of the Romano over this. Lay 5 noodles lengthwise and 1 crosswise at top to fill pan. Spread half the ricotta evenly over the noodles. [evidently I found some ricotta in the fridge.] Repeat, ending with meat sauce and Romano. Cover tightly with foil and bake one hour. Remove foil and let stand 5 minutes.

Some notes:

Today ground round steak is 90% lean ground beef.
      Now I would brown the beef, drain the grease, then add the garlic.
      It’s probably 8 or 12 oz ricotta cheese, whatever the small container is.
      I’d end with the mozzarella, but I can see ending with the Romano; no burning.
      Pureeing the onion with the tomato... that sounds interesting.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Sanks!!

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        You caved too easily. Your handwriting is very easy to read.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Saved it to my OneNote - three times under "Beef", "Pasta", and new section "Italian".

Thanks!

Lasagna Sea Scrolls!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here