Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to break dry spaghetti noodles into only 2 pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to break dry spaghetti noodles into only 2 pieces

If you've ever wondered why you can't break dry spaghetti noodles in only 2 pieces like you intend to instead of 3+ pieces (which often go flying) like always happens, here's a cool CNN article on the subject, and how to do it!

The late physicist Richard Feynman would be thrilled to know that the mystery of how spaghetti breaks has finally been solved, writes Don Lincoln

Comment

You just hafta spoil our fun with a solution dontcha now Ron...

Comment

I'm just gonna stop you right there. No, I have never wondered or noticed that I can't. I'm actually afraid to click on the two links above. Makes me think I'll be doing something other than I planned today.

Comment

Breaking spaghetti noodles is a cardinal sin.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
            Mudbeaver commented
            Editing a comment
            I concur !

So, the spaghetti I get is not wrapped in cellophane. It's packaged in what is more like parchment or butcher's paper because I buy local pasta that comes from the STL area known as 'the Hill' - our Little Italy.

I don't open it, I lay it halfway over the edge of the counter, grab the overhang in a round grip that slightly twists the strands, and push down. Perfect halfway break every time. EVERY time. Open it once it's broken.

Although I agree it's a sin to break it, it's harder to wait for 10 quarts of water to get to a boil.

Comment

I’ve never had this problem. Long noodles should be long.

Comment

• GBA
              GBA commented
              Editing a comment
              Long noodles don't stay long for long

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
            I’ve never had this problem. Long noodles should be long.
            I suppose for folks who have small pots... I don't break it either, but I have before and then you have to pick up little noodle shards that fling all over. I like to do the long noodle slurp myself and sling sauce everywhere, makes eatin' busketti fun.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              What’s wrong with this verbage of "little noodle shards that fling all over"?

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I used to do long noodles in a 4 qt pot. I put em in the boiling water, with the ends sticking out, gave em a minute to soften enough to bend, then fully submerged. No breakage and no giant pot.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack Yep, that's how I do lasagna noodles, soak their feet first.

I prefer a judo chop a la Austin Powers

Comment

Seriously, with boiled pasta, like fried bacon or grilled cheese sandwiches, the instructions are in the title. Just ask Gordon Ramsay .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here