Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My house REEKS....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friendship and good food, can't get any better than that! If you can find pancetta, it is quite nice as well. When I cook the dish, I find the egg sets perfectly when I add the pasta back into the pot in which it was cooked (minus the water) and then taken off the element. There is enough residual heat in there to heat it through without curdling. I also hold back a little bit of the pasta water to add in as needed to achieve a glossy finish. Although not traditional, I do sometimes add green onion as well...adds a bit of freshness to cut some of the richness of the dish.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      So you are adding the Pasta & the sauce back into the pot the pasta was cooked in?? I was aware of the other tips, but hadn't heard that one. I was thinking about adding the pasta to the oil/pork in the pan it was cooked in, removing from heat for a bit, adding eggs, and maybe a little of the water.

I do it that way, as I prefer to spoon the bacon fat into the pasta a little at a time. I know some folks love to dump the pasta, bacon and egg right back into the bacon fat, but I find it to be a bit too much oil for my taste. You can do it either way, just as long as you take it off the heat.

Comment

Serves 3 Contrary to the recipe so often used in restaurants, real carbonara contains no cream. The real thing also uses guanciale, cured pork jowl, but to be honest, I like bacon better. I think of this as bacon and eggs with pasta instead of toast. It's the perfect last minute dinner, and I've yet to meet a child who doesn't like it.

This is the recipe That got me hooked. I've had great results.
      Snek I add fresh chopped parsley for the freshness that you get from green onion. Same concept, just another option. I've also seen fresh green peas in carbonara. That's apparently a regional thing.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. It seems there are many methods. I'll have to try them all, at some point. I'm leaning towards Marc Vetri's Fettuccini w/ Corn Crema & Charred Green Onions next. It looks to be very simple and I imagine quite tasty!

I LOVE fresh pasta. Shoulder issues mean making it completely by hand is nearly impossible. You can get the 00 semolina from Amazon. they sell the two types of flour you need for pasta seperately or together, it does come ass a package. I always buy the package and then just pour them together into the same jar.

Now, there has to be a reason why the nonnas put the eggs in the middle on the counter instead of just dumping it all together. so, what I do is take my eggs & oil and put them in a jar and shake. that is typically how I mix eggs. then the eggs go into the Kitchen Aid bowl.

put on the dough hook and get started. slowly drop the flour down the SIDE of the bowl so that there is always flour standing above the egg mix on the sides of the bowl. as the eggs draw in the flour, drop more, all the way around the bowl. it takes longer, this way but I think it makes MUCH better and lighter pasta. I just keep putting the flour in on the sides like this until the entire amount of flour for the recipe is all in the bowl. the eggs will eventually pull it all together.

then, leave it kneading until it is smooth, take it out, wrap it up, let it rest and then roll with the pasta roller as intended.

makes the very best pasta I have ever tried.

I've also come to the conclusion that my bolognese is yummy when I make it, but, it is one of the few things that I think is actually BETTER after having been frozen & reheated.

Comment

Thanks Karon Adams. Much respect to you and your contributions to this site. I get a special little smile when one of the matriarchs here inputs to one of my topics.

I haven't tried ordering flour online. The 00 is available at whole foods in 2 brands. It doesn't say durum or semolina though. I think one says soft winter wheat though. The semolina is sold bulk there, and I think is #1. Very corn meal-ish texture.

I also have started using the kitchen aide, but only to get it started, and past the point where it is gooey and glues itself to my hands.

Any recommendations as to what a typically non-baker should/could do with all those egg whites left over? My favorite recipe, so far, calls for 9 yolks. That is a lot of wasted whites.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a good opportunity for an egg-leavened sacher torte (that's chocolate cake, Mate)!

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          If only I was a baker. Started in on it a while back, but working long hours I couldn't find the time to learn and produce a good product. Pasta is much easier. Also learning the SV, which isn't labor intensive. I can use some for nuts. I need to look up the marshmallow recipe. I think it uses them.

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          why, make a Pavlova for dessert! or macarons!

Holy Bajees!! Just did an egg sauce!! OOOoooaah!! No bacon in the house, so just did olive oil, red pepper, egg and some Romano.... I'm not allowed to type the words coming outa my mouth right now!

One egg per serving (ate two servings) was just about right, a little much, but I cleaned the bowl!! Time to start with some impression pastas to grab a bit more sauce though.

Add garlic and cured pig.... I can only imagine.

Pretty sure I found another "go to" pasta dish, and this one has a protein built in.

Comment

love fresh pasta. your making me miss my Nonie and her amazing Tortellini. she made pasta by eye and it came out great every time never saw her measure a thing.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Jump right in and make ya some. It's so easy. I'm sure the tortellini will take some practice though. I feel strange, posting pasta on a BBQ site. I hope to be combining with smoked meat soon though.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here