Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding Fresh Pasta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding Fresh Pasta

In a different thread talking about the Kitchenaid pasta attachment, Attjack asked: How long can fresh pasta keep?

In the most recent issue of Cook's Illustrated (available on newsstands currently. Jan-Feb 2023 edition), they say:

EAT IT FRESH OR STORE IT LATER

Fresh pasta should be served the day its made or frozen for up to one month. Fresh pasta freezes beautifully, as it keeps the moisture inside the dough from seeping to the surface.

Using fresh dough in 30m or less from being made? Hold it at room temperature

Using within four hours: cover with plastic and put in fridge

To freeze: top strands with extra flour, coil into 2-to-4 ounce nests on baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, place into a freezer bag for storage up to one month.

This is good stuff! You should be able to cook right from frozen correct? Did it mention that in the article?

another note - Cooks Illustrated is always a fun read!

Comment

Good to hear it freezes well and that's not surprising since dough and bread does too. I'll definitely have to break out the pasta maker a put some in the bank for later.

Comment

I was actually surprised to read in the Marcella Hazan book that she had no preference between the so-called fresh pastas in the refrigerated section of grocery stores and the dried pastas in boxes. Home-made fresh is always superior, though. We typically only make enough for the upcoming meals for the ragout we are making so have never frozen it.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneT View Post
          I was actually surprised to read in the Marcella Hazan book that she had no preference between the so-called fresh pastas in the refrigerated section of grocery stores and the dried pastas in boxes.
          This is one reason I just buy quality dried. The only time I'm tempted to make fresh is when I think about making ravioli, but then I realize that I can just buy good fresh ravioli cheap enough that the attachment for the KA makes no sense.

Comment

Recipe that i have been using says to let the dough rest 30 m before extruding. By the time you sheet, form and get it in boiling water can be up to another 30 m. I always wondered about how long it could stay at room temp because of the eggs in the flour. On the other hand while backpacking through the years we always took some eggs for the first morning breakfast, almost 24 hours with no refrigeration and summer temperatures. Never had any issues.

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              I let my dough rest as well to hydrate for 30 minutes. Then off I go. I use the extractor more than the roller/cutter - actually broke my roller again cleaning it…..

This is a question I had in my head. Good to know.
            Do they say anything about how long to let it dry before cooking?

Comment

• captainlee
              captainlee commented
              Editing a comment
              My experience is that you don't have to let it dry. We have the water boiling and when i get the last of it extruded it goes directly in the water. Pasta can be made without eggs.

Rule of thumb here: For dried vs. store-bought "fresh" (it isn't) ... I'll take a high-quality dried every time. I'll still make fresh when I'm looking for "ultimate" pasta ... and will always cook/eat it immediately. Never, ever try to preserve it. YMMV

Comment

• captainlee
              captainlee commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll freeze any leftover pasta dough that i don't sheet in a vacuum bag and it stores and reconstitutes just fine. Of course fresh is best. Nothing wrong with store bought quality pasta either.

Wow, there is such a wealth of knowledge here on Amazing Ribs. This is good to know.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here