Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barilla Pasta class-action lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barilla Pasta class-action lawsuit

This is getting ridiculous. People just need to read labels.

Marketed as 'Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta,' Barilla sued over product not being made in Italy

The box has an Italian flag. It says it's "Italy's #1 brand of pasta". This thing better be thrown out of court.

As all of us here in the Pit should know, if you're really looking for "italian" products, you have to look for the DOP label and other label markings.

We've lost count of the number of times we've picked up "Italian Olive Oil" without the DOP marking and had to go back to the aisle for the "Italian Olive Oil" with the DOP on the label.

Next thing you know, we'll find out that Siracha isn't actually made in Thailand, despite the language markings on the label.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...y/10544234002/

I thought the Texas Pete thing was silly, being Texas Pete was just a name. Barilla seems to have taken it a step further and actually claimed to be Italian in origin. In my opinion, this is not a big deal with pasta (maybe I'm a pasta cretin, but largely, store-bought pasta is store-bought pasta to me). Taking it a step further, I think most of us would agree that wine from the U.S. should not be named Champagne or Bordeaux. What Barilla is doing (if true) seems to be closer to the latter than to Texas Pete.

It is true that many know to look for the DOP marking, but should you have to? Should a company be able to imply (border-line fraudulently) that they are something they are not, then disclaim the assertion in the fine print? This is taking caveat emptor too far.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
      WillTravelForFood commented
      Editing a comment
      "Italian in origin" vs "popular in Italy" are two different things.

So, this is a subtle thing. Barilla DOES make pasta in Italy. They just don't make the pasta that they sell in the US in Italy. And, even if they didn't make any pasta in Italy, that doesn't mean that it could not be the favorite pasta of Italians.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Not to mention, a lot of pasta that IS made in Italy uses American wheat, lol.

Next up on the frivolous lawsuit list?

Every Chinese restaurant in the world that serves General Tso's Chicken, which misrepresents the dish as originating in China instead of actually being invented in New York City.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      So was spaghetti and meatballs.

So the question is, where do you draw the line between what Barilla is doing and an American wine calling itself Bordeaux?

Comment

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      Is Barilla pasta named for a region of Italy?
      If so, I can see the comparison to Bordeaux or champagne.
      If not, I think we have apples and oranges..

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      But isn’t Bordeaux a grape as well as a region? Can Bordeaux grapes be brown here? I should know this answer straight up…. But I do not.

And I believe that wine NOT produced in Champagne is called sparkling wine and I also think that using the term “methods champagnoise” is ok for sparklings.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn - I was just picking examples off the top of my head, and Bordeaux may not have been the best one if it also refers to a grape. Champagne was a better example. Yes, it's called sparkling wine if it's not produced in the Champagne region. It seems what Barilla was doing was more akin to implying they were from Italy to enhance their appeal to consumers in the same way a sparkling-wine maker might have wrongfully done at one time with Champagne (or other wine making regions).

I'm gonna sue AR, there's way more stuff about things that aren't ribs compared to things that are about ribs... probably gonna go after WillTravelForFood as well, rarely posting about traveling for food and all... maybe that Panhead John guy too never posts about pans or motorcycles, it's always about some silly bronco thing or some sticky nonstick flat top...

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq Is "Dick" with the firm, Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe?

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      Now this is good, right here. I hope I am called as a witness in both of these trials.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes but it is all amazing

Not familiar with this DOP you speak of, but I wouldn't trust that "Italian" olive oil is the best, or even entirely olive oil..

Plenty of other info out there documenting fraud in the olive oil industry. Tons of $$ to be made selling counterfeit EVOO.

I personally use the California Olive Ranch brand, as it's reputed to meet the highest scrutiny standards in the industry. But then again, how do we really know...
    my .02
    take it for what it's worth
    As to the topic at hand, pasta is pasta to me. I buy what's on sale. Sometimes it's Barilla, sometimes not

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
      but I wouldn't trust that "Italian" olive oil is the best, or even entirely olive oil..
      A few years ago, we toured a local Olive Oil press/plant in Italy with an agricultural professor. It was a place where families would bring their personal olives over to get pressed, rather than a factory of commercial production.

Our guide agrees that not all olive oil is created equal, but highly recommended the DOP-labeled Italian Olive Oil available from Costco. There are multiple Costco olive oils, but only one Big Jug is labeled as such.

They also do sell a higher-priced DOP-labeled Tuscan olive oil every October/November that is delightful.

Comment

I am suing all you SOBs for enabling MCS. Special emphasis on Uncle Bob and Panhead John for the Bronco and HEB incidents. And fzxdoc for the rancho gordo fiasco. And a bunch of others on this site because I can't stop myself from buying cookbooks. I don't want to leave out SheilaAnn for the trader Joe's list even though I haven't been there. And especially Huskee for giving my prize to everyone else every month.

My attorney, Better call Saul, will be in touch with all ~16k members soon.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          (dials Dewey Cheatum & Howe)

"Hey Dewey? I got a job for ya."

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah not going up against Saul Goodman. I'll join you and we can make it class action.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          No one can beat Saul. I wouldn't want him against me. And I am sorry but your username keeps hiding in the back with all the other loser usernames, probably smoking and flinging spit wads, what am I to do? Wake it up and tell it to shape up!

Reading comprehension is not an equally distributed skill.

Comment

After forcing klflowers to buy an outrageously priced lunch at The Burnt Bean Company, 58limited and myself, kidnapped and handcuffed klflowers. We then threw him into the back of my pickup and took him at gunpoint to the HEB down the street. We released him from his cuffs, but kept a close eye on him, didn’t want him to alert anyone inside the store. He was begging and pleading with us to not force him into buying a 1/2 a grocery cart full of meat…..🙄

KEVIN INSIDE THE HEB…..58LIMITED AND RONB KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON HIM…..🙄

Click image for larger version  Name:	BD3AAD7F-86D8-44EB-933D-B4E01C1E1FCE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	1311368
          Last edited by Panhead John; October 20, 2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Since the Burnt Bean brisket brought tears of joy to my eyes, I'll exempt that from the lawsuit. But thanks for reminding me about 58limited and RonB. I skinned my elbows when you guys manhandled me into the truck. They deserve special attention from my boy Saul too

There is Buster's Texas BBQ and Famous Dave's Texas BBQ and they are here in the Portland Oregon area.
          So how can it be Texas BBQ? And they don't offer Lone Star Beer.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Famous Dave is an American Indian from Wisconsin who lives in Minnesota. I give you Texas BBQ.

Ya mean Papa Murphy’s isn’t Irish pizza? Ya mean Little Caesar isn’t Roman pizza? Ya mean McDonalds isn’t Scottish food? We’ve got to get to the bottom of truth, yessir!

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            And the Truth will set us free. LOL

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's sue the bastards!!!

I just had a glass of Arizona Tea and guess what? Yep, it's manufactured for Arizona Beverages USA, Woodbury NJ.

Comment

My mom told me when I was little I had to wear briefs instead of boxers because I needed the support. That if I didn't, by the time I was 40 it would hang to my knees...she lied, I'm going after her next!

Comment

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              So you're saying your boys hang low?

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Now this is funny

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here