Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non smash burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non smash burger

I have for the most part given up smash burgers, the clean up the cast, just not my current thing. I do however think that burger taught me something about the process.

What I am doing right now, is buying the longer tubes of chuck, what I am finding is if I cut my slices of burgers, I get a less smashed burger, and still get excellent char, as I still did not patty it. I also am thinking I am tasting a deeper char and salt - pepper in the burgers, as it is looser in it’s packing, as it was not smashed. It also seems to get my burger off the fire faster. My wife and I have decided this is our burger for now. I’m going to work on the burger this summer. Foods from the cheap seats,

Click image for larger version  Name:	3C3A3203-4145-470B-B17D-9D9516F2F238.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	981128
    Click image for larger version  Name:	00C7D1E3-1A97-4DD5-80DE-1999FD7637FC.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	4.67 MB ID:	981130
    Click image for larger version  Name:	68B30603-77ED-4753-846F-A507B34264F3.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	4.25 MB ID:	981129
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 27, 2021, 03:20 PM.

It's all about what works and tastes best to you. Right?

Comment

Clever idea

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but, I am stubborn like a vise grip.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        So, whatta ya findin, Brother? Eyeball estimate, reckon bout 3/8"-1/2" makes fer a ~4 oz. burger patty???

Richard Chrz
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 27, 2021, 07:28 PM.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        That is pretty accurate. The hardest problem I have right now, is to find a clean way to cut them. Testing different levels of frozen or thaw, and what type of knife. Take any tips..

Interesting. It looks great and I'm sure it tastes great. Personally, I'm not a fan of vacuum-packed ground beef but I haven't bought a tube of it in many years. I'm talking about the square packs of beef that obviously require additional shaping.
      Last edited by Attjack; January 27, 2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Great looking burgers.

Interesting idea about using those "tubes". Never thought about that one. And you can make them as thick or thin as you want.

Comment

Great idea with the tube burgers, will need to try that....thx.

Comment

Those are some right fine lookin' burgers there.

Comment

I have always found my best tasting burgers were the big bag of frozen cheap (fatty) Costco patties.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                No doubt they're likely quite good... Ground beef, or ground chuck?

Do ya have any Kroger affiliate stores near ya? Or Hy Vee?

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Bubba Burgers for President!!!!

I went through the same thing--was all about smash burgers even before they became the thing. Then had to relocate the flat top while renovating our patio so started making hamburgers the way we used to. Honestly, I like them both for different reasons! There's a place for every hamburger!

Comment

• bardsleyque
                bardsleyque commented
                Editing a comment
                mostly in my stomach!

Deep frying is a bit of a pain so i dont do this often but its an awesome twist on the smash burger. Not to mention its pretty darn good. Richard Chrz I too have decided in my head i want to master the burger this summer. I like the idea of tubed chuck...gotta look for that.

Alton Brown shows how to make his own private cheeseburger: A crisp deep-fried patty, gooey cheddar cheese, mayo, mustard, and pickles.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                I am hoping if summer and everything allow, safe gathering in our driveway. I would like to put on a classic "upper midwest" cookout of hot dogs, burgers, brats, sides for our neighborhood. I keep thinking about brisket etc for them. But, this will be easier to time, based on weather, etc.. and I will get more time to hang out.
                Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 28, 2021, 03:18 PM.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Did the deep fried burger after watching Alton. Doesn’t get you that dark crust and I miss it.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Try a deep fried ribeye, oh my it’s amazing 🤩

A burger is worthy of PBR for sure.

Comment

Keep in mind that the incidence of bacterial contamination is high when buying chubs of ground burger. That's where most outbreaks are traced back to.

I'd rather have fresh ground whole cuts or grind them myself.

Your mileage may vary. Past performance is no guarantee of future outcome. The originator of this email is not liable for the transmission of the information contained in this communication, unless they are the originator in which case they probably are liable and rightly so considering the content of the aforementioned communication.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I used to buy the chubs myself for big cookouts like July 4th, etc, until reading about the contamination risk a couple of years back.

I go through my burger phases, too. A couple of years ago I was on the SV burger kick. I could keep it nice and pink inside but not slimy or undercooked. The one thing that my palate cannot take (unlike my dad who is the opposite) is a burger that has the texture of slime.

Comment

Richard Chrz I used to buy 10 pounds chubs (tubes) of ground beef at Sam's Club for my Labor Day, July 4th and Memorial Day cookouts, where I was usually cooking for 25-30 people, and slice them the way you are talking about. That obviously did NOT happen this past year!

I would cut the chub in half, due to it being so long, cut the plastic off (and watch it expand!), then lay it out on the cutting board and have at it. I never found a good way to slice, as no matter if I used a smooth or serrated knife, you seemed to be smooshing down on it as much as cutting it, and your knife gets gunked up with fat as you go.

I have to think that a partial freeze would firm it up so that it would cut easier, and then cut through it with a serrated knife in a sawing motion, but I never tried this. If I ever do burgers this way again, I'll try putting it in the freezer for an hour before making the burgers.

That said, I quit buying the tubes of ground beef a couple of years ago, after reading that they were the main source of contaminated meat, and went back to buying the store packs of ground beef, and forming my own patties.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; January 28, 2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m glad someone said this, the big tubes are for making large numbers of .... wait for it.....burgers. This is not a new concept. But hey, I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today !!!!!

I used to buy the frozen patties from Sams for picnics and such. I am not sure they carry them anymore, but they were not bad. We would throw them on the grill still frozen.

if that is your starting point though, sign me up! Those look, well, they look damn good excuse my language
                  Last edited by klflowers; January 28, 2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here