Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More burger grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More burger grinding

Well, thanks to fzxdoc and RichieB I will no longer be cutting my meat into cubes before grinding! Why is it that sometimes the most obvious things in life are not all that apparent? Cutting beef into strips is a big time changer in grinding meat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grind1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	899712
    I have been using this grinder for several years now and it works great. Cutting into strips made it so I didn't even need my plunger. Grinding once with a 1/4" die gave me this.

Name:	grind2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	899713
    Turned out quite well. I put back in the fridge for about 30 minutes and made some 5oz patties, with the scale and former.

Name:	grind3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	899714
    I basically grab some beef, plop on the scale, then place in the former and press. There's pretty much no extra handling of the meat.

Once placed on the flattop, I like to apply some pressure to keep them all uniform.

Name:	grind4.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	899715

Name:	grind5.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	899716Click image for larger version

Name:	grind6.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	899717
    The end result was that these got scarfed up before I could take a finished product photo.

Looks like I need to do more grinding...

Looks fantastic, what cut of meat are you using?

Comment

• Rocinante
      Rocinante commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! That was a 2.5 lb chuck roast. I'm wanting to try to blend some different cuts now to see the difference that makes.

Grinding my own beef is on my list of techniques to add.

Comment

I have the same grinder and former. :-)

Comment

Nice job. Sounds like everything went perfectly according to plan. Those burgers-in-progress are making me hungry.

Kathryn

Comment

I picked up a grinder a few weeks back, now I’ve just been biding my time until brisket goes on sale (and we have room in the freezer). Do y’all trim the brisket down before putting through the grinder? I guess I could get all scientific and trim if all off and weigh it out.

Comment

Looks fantastic. Happy the info sent on helped you.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCCrashCrew89 View Post
              I picked up a grinder a few weeks back, now I’ve just been biding my time until brisket goes on sale (and we have room in the freezer). Do y’all trim the brisket down before putting through the grinder? I guess I could get all scientific and trim if all off and weigh it out.
              I pretty much kept most of the fat in the cuts. The only fat I removed was the fat that was hard. The softer fat grinds down pretty good.

Comment

Your burgers look great. I always grind my own meat for burgers, sausage, chili, etc. I went from the 1/4" plate to the 3/8" plate. It helped with the burgers keeping their shape and not coming apart when I flipped. Also, it made the beef more tender.... but maybe that's just me thinking that.

Comment

I have little experience grinding burger. I just purchased a half a side and the burger is fantastic, but it is on the lean side. I have a KA attachment so can grind. I was thinking of saving fat trimmings and freezing to add to the burger. Anyone have experience there? Just not sure if my thinking is correct.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here