Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patties fall apart???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patties fall apart???

Just started grinding my own burgers, using MHs Steakburger recipe, but went down from 1/2 to 1/3 pound , just about right for me and the wife. This is the first time (out of 3) that the patties kind of crumbled... is it due to not enough fat in the blend? I thought I had 25-30%, but not certain... also, they were maybe a little bit thinner than before, but still close to 1/3rd pound
    Attached Files
    Last edited by patcrail; August 14, 2020, 04:55 PM.

Yes, most likely lack of fat. If you seasoned the meat with salt before forming the patties can be an issue also.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I never use salt prior to cooking anything, other than dry brining unground meat

⅓ lb is bigger than ¼ lb. Just saying.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I screwed up, down from 1/2 to 1/3

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      ✊ 👍

As stated by dadof3illinois, it can be lack of fat. From my friends book "Butchers Secrets":
    "when meat is coarse ground (1/4" holes), it tends to break apart in the frying pan or grill. The simple solution for that is to dissolve 1/2 tsp of salt in 1/2 cup of water, pour it in over two or three lbs meat, stir it in, and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour or more. Salt breaks down the cell walls, and the patties will now hold their shape".

I do that sometimes, but I like my burgers medium ground (3/16") and I try to ensure the meat is well formed. I then make sure I get a good crust on the burger before I flip.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t bring myself to salt the meat ahead of time just to make it break down... I’ll try finer grinds & more fat first

No salt at all until I sear, so likely the fat, or maybe ground too course? Used the big plate (10mm), maybe I need to try the smaller one

Comment

2 grinds. 1st course, 2nd fine. Slightly freeze meat and grinding attachement prior to each grind. I had same issue. I posted a picture of the article that solved the issue. I'll look for it and if found I'll repost.
      Last edited by RichieB; August 14, 2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks RichieB ... I’ll give this a try

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. Finer grind should fix the problem.

Located.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190220_163152.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	896355

Comment

Here's the link to the article that RichieB posted. It's a bit easier to read than the photo.

Thanks, RichieB, for the post--good info there.

Kathryn

Comment

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Kathryn!

This is the KA grinder I use. I NEVER grind a burger twice. My burgers never fall apart.

im not certain why yours fall apart as they look overly cohesive. They actually seem a bit gummy as If they were ground twice.

Is there more than one cut or type of meat in there??

from the pics they appear to be overworked as if....if your hands may have heated up the outside in an effort to actually avoid overworking the patty. You may have simply lacked pressure while forming them. Even at 90/10 you should not have had an issue.

Thats all I got. Hard to tell from the pics without seeing more.

edit: I didn’t read the articles linked above
        Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          And the Burger King - the veritable Prince of Patties, has spoken. Since HouseHomey makes some of the best looking burgers I’ve ever seen, I’ll take his advice to the bank.

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey , thanks... I did actually grind those twice, as they didn’t seem to want to hold together well the first time. I’m sure that was a mistake! Also, I used the largest disc I have (pic attached)...I believe it has 10mm holes? 3/8”? Is that what you use, or smaller?
          Also, only one type of meat, all ribeye with some beef fat added from another ribeye.

+1 for HouseHomey advice.

Comment

HouseHomey heres the disc I used... grinder only has two, this was the large one (maybe 10mm? 3/8”?) is that larger than yours? Can’t quite tell from the pics
          Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            It would appear you have 13 holes in yours and I have 14.

Whatever that worth.

Thanks everyone! I’m gonna practice again tonight. Only going to grind once (I think grinding twice screwed me up last time and made them "mushy").... do you all use the large disc (10mm), or a smaller one?

Comment

HouseHomey per your advice, I’m only gonna grind once today. Do you use the course or medium disc? I think what prompted me to regrind last time was just how course the meat looked... but I agree with your statement that they looked overly cohesive .... actually pasty ...!thought that at the time. I only have the course and fine discs. The fine looks too fine, although I haven’t tried it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by patcrail; August 15, 2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Here's HouseHomey 's post about grinding meat on the Kitchen Aid (mostly) plastic grinder that I took to the bank six months ago. As with all of his culinary prowess, he makes it look so simple. But doggone, that guy can cook! I want my burgers to turn out even half as pretty as his.

Ok. I remember discussing a KA grinder a few times and the latest by the KA Grinder Whisperer Meathead So this was a last second video, again. I apologize for the noise and I was talking a bit fast during this one handed, gimpy debacle. (Rehabbing my shoulder and I got wrecked today, all great though) I had a taste for meat

Kathryn

Comment

• patcrail
                patcrail commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc thanks again! I couldn’t get the audio on his video clip, but looks like what I just did, except it appears he’s using a little finer disc than my large (I don’t have a medium)... I’m giving it another try only grinding once! Maybe a little too much fat, but is there really such a thing? Lol 😂

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Blushing....

So I’m trying it again, slightly under a pound of ribeye, in strips, not cubes, only ground once with the coarse disc,.. grill warming up now, so we’ll see!
              Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                They still look loose. Pack them well. They are fatty. Also you may want to try a flat top if you like that grind.
                Last edited by HouseHomey; August 15, 2020, 03:32 PM.

• patcrail
                patcrail commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey I’m not particularly fond of the grind, it’s just what I ended up with... in hindsight, yes, not packing enough, too loose. No access to a flattop, really want to nail these on the grill, so more practice!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here