Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Buns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Buns?

Hi all! Got a question for everyone. I’m always using the same old sesame seed hamburger buns from the grocery store. I’d like to try something new to help my burgers. My burgers are always good, but I’d like to be more adventurous. Also they start falling apart from the juices after just a few bites. Can y’all recommend some really good buns (or bread) for me to try? If they hold up to the juices that would be a plus, but not a requirement. Not anything too exotic that would be hard to find. Thanks

Best buns? I'd have to go with my wife's.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣😂

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      You beat me to it. Address?

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      DITO

I know what you mean. I put time into good burgers, but the buns are always lackluster, whether white, potato, or 'wheat'.
    Look into buns made from sourdough bread: sturdy, tasty, bread. One style that comes to mind is 'ciabatta rolls'. They've become difficult to get locally, so I'm taking the initiative: learn how to bake sourdough bread!
    Last edited by SmokingPat; August 5, 2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Been hearing a lot about Ciabatta rolls. I’ve had the Ciabatta bun burger at Jack in the Box and liked em. ( Don’t laugh, I can’t grill every day ) 😂 I’ll definitely try them, Costco is where I get all my steaks, The Best! I’ll try their Ciabatta rolls next time.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Jack in the Box! They are STILL around? Panhead John

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Jack in the Box is still around and still make the most God awful Tacos in the world. Those things are just nothing but disgusting little grease bombs

I have a nearby grocery with an in house bakery so I can skip the mass produced stuff. Fresh baked rolls every day there. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Along with the aforementioned suggestions...

Do you toast your buns?
      That can make them a more "robust" and hold up to a juicy burger. It also adds a bit of texture and ups the flavour profile.

That’s also why "better" places that serve juicy burgers toast theirs...mostly so it doesn’t get soggy/mushy and fall apart. Which tends to make people wonder why they just spent 12 bucks on a burger. ;-)

Places that serve dry burgers don’t bother.
      (McWhatzit I’m lookin’ at you. LOL)
      Last edited by surfdog; August 5, 2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve got to where I pretty much always toast ‘em. Though I tend to do them early in the cook...so that I can yell, "Ok people...get your buns in gear." And then they’ll be ready when the burgers are. I want them served hot...not sitting around. On the grill, I just toast them. On the griddle I might break out the butter wheel. (If I’m doing a bunch. Otherwise lazy kicks in.)

As for ribeyeguy That’s what I heard. (Yeah, way too easy to pass that one up. LOL)

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is one more thing to love about a griddle. Plenty of room to toast the buns while waiting for it to heat up for smash burgers.

• Parkin
        Parkin commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup...I usually griddle the buns with a little butter and toast them up. They hold together pretty good with juicy burgers. Always for pulled pork, as well.

Be sure to toast your buns and then give them at least a thin coat of mayo to help avoid soggy buns. Also, if you use lettuce put it below the burger patty.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point on the order of construction on your burgers. Barrier items on the bottom. Moisture items on the top.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah. Always lettuce on the bottom. I make pretty big and thick patties though, and always 80-20 fat ratio. Gonna have to start toasting the buns more often, they also taste better that way.

Have you tried the burger buns recipe here? https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...er-buns-recipe My attempt using the mystery flour in my wife's clear container turned out more like a biscuit but the flavor was good.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for something to buy, with no work involved.

For me, a Martins Potato roll is the platonic ideal of a burger bun. If I was making a bigger burger than usual, say a thick 8 oz patty, id probably opt for a sandwich size English muffin or a Kaiser/Portuguese style roll.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to say English Muffin too.

Try brioche buns if you can find them. They have a higher butter content, (always a good thing ). And I suggest either frying them in butter 'till browned or a thin layer of butter and broil them until browned. And for a certain member - fry or broil the inside...

Comment

• jerrybell
        jerrybell commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure about Brioche at Kroger, we have Smith's here which is another store name in the Kroger family. I don't recall seeing Brioche there but think I remember seeing them at Walmart and Costco. They might not necessarily hold up better but I like to go with potato buns when I'm up for a change.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        My Kroger has brioche buns in the bread aisle, Panhead John. They're getting to be more common.

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 for brioche, the upscale places seem to be using them a lot.
        Variety is the spice of life.
        I love the Costco ciabatta however one of their rolls is a lot of bread in a small footprint. They are making a smaller version locally which comes out as sort of an octagonal roll I use for tortas.
        Then there are the actual brand name torta rolls at Costco, which are OKish.
        Or if you have a nearby Mexican grocery with a bakery, check out their torta or telera rolls.

Martin's Potato Rolls are my favorite but hard to come by up here in the Northwest. Loved being able go get them at any grocery store when we lived in Florida.

I recently tried some brioche buns from Bakerly.com that were very good . I am usually not a brioche bun fan but there were better than most I have tried. Both the hot dog and hamburger buns were good. My wife really liked them.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I will have to try Bakerly. Buns and rolls

Buns on burgers seem to be my nemesis. I always toast and if I am using lettuce, I put the lettuce down first. I have had best success with brioche buns that I get from the bakery section.

Comment

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the suggestions. The general consensus is Ciabatta and Brioche buns as best for burgers, along with a few others. A special shoutout to ribeye guy’s suggestion! (and for being a good sport).

Comment

Pretzel rolls hold up well. Kaiser rolls, cut focaccia to size, telera rolls.

try cutting to size French bread, sourdough, whole grain loaf,

there are a millions breads available to you.

simply reconsider the shape of your burger and the list of bread and toppings are endless.

Burgers don’t have to be round.

no one minds a meatloaf or meatball sammich, right?

Comment

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends on who's meatloaf. Brioche, potato buns, cheap white bread. Well, 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

(meatloaf...2 outta 3 ain't bad....)
            Last edited by JimLinebarger; August 6, 2020, 08:56 PM.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I was going to say pretzel bun. I went through a phase. Now I'm back to potato buns or sesame buns to let the meat shine.

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            JimLinebarger I grew up eating burgers on white bread. My parents would almost never buy real hamburger buns. Same with hot dogs.

If I'm doing thin burgers, I really like a kings hawaiian bun.
          If I'm doing thick burgers, we tend to go with brioche or a pretzel roll.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Many years ago I wanted pulled pork sliders for a Kentucky Derby party... The wife was to pick up the rolls & such.

Anyway, she got DOZENS of those little Kings Hawaiian rolls. "OMG, you’re killing me!"

As most know, they’re kinda sweet.
            Ok, no kinda about it. ;-)

I amped up a vinegar based sauce, instead of the more sweet sauce I had planned, let me tell ya...they were awesome. And quite the hit. With everything else we had, I figured 18 lbs would allow for leftovers. I figured wrong.

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            I had pulled pork and burnt end in Hawaiian rolls tonight. They did NOT suck

My wife and I make burgers all the time, on the grill (thick, steak-house style or thin, diner-style). We've tried many buns and our favorite is the brioche bun from Aldi's. It's super soft and reminds us of the ones from fancy burger joints.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here