Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burger weight for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burger weight for kids

Young kids ages 3-10 or 12. The older can always eat more than one so no big deal there. I just don't want to make a bunch of burgers and they eat less than half and that's it.

I'm doing smash burgers.

Isn’t that what leftovers are for? You ask a valid question but they wouldn’t go to waste over here

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Half eaten patties with complimentary saliva, not leftovers.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughters 24, I make adult sized burgers.....
      I can't finish this!!!!
      You 4 or 24!!!! Eat your damn dinner, dumb butt!!!!
      So feed it to the dawg, Me.

I’d go no more than 3 oz. burgers. Maybe 2 oz. for kids.

Comment

I have 1, 3, 5, and 8. The 8 year old can down a 1/3 lb burger so he is fine. For the 3 and 5 I usually just split a 1/3 pounder between them. They are still in the "take apart the burger and eat all the components separately" phase so it doesn't really matter. And the 1 year old will can down about 1/4 pound.

I would probably shoot for 1/4 pound for the kids. Any smaller than that and the meat to bun ratio is all out of whack. If you have slider buns 2 or 3 ozs would be great and then you and the older kids can just eat multiple burgers.

Comment

Good deal. Thanks guys.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Since you have all the good answers I'll just throw in
          "The burger weighting time for kids should be no longer than 10min"

Food & kiddies can be a real trip. They could dissect what they’re eatin & go "ew what’s this" or they could just chow down. Then ya may have the focus thing, so many other cool things happenin & it could take 30 minutes to down a half burger. Especially interesting if there is a passel of em, then they seem to feed off the chaos. Have fun!
        Last edited by FireMan; July 28, 2020, 04:03 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a regular dinner at my table. My wife falls into the focus thing too, ha!

When I make smashburgers :
        adults get 2oz patties, doubled in the buns (4oz each sandwich)

kids get a smashed 1oz patty, the perfect size for a split Kings Hawaiian roll. (Can double the 1oz patties if the kids are older or if you want to make sliders for adults).

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          I may, since they'll be split in age groups.

make regular burgers, and cut into quarters like finger sammiches

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea!

I do 1/3 lb burgers for adults and half that for kids. Try to keep it easy

Comment

I do 2.5-3oz patties for smash burgers. Adults get two patties and kids get 1-2 depending on age. I also find they are more likely to finish 6 oz when it’s two smash tiger patties than one thick 6 oz patty

Comment

I don't allow children on my property. Most other people either. Here's proof when some kid showed up at my house begging for food last weekend:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hambone says go away.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	887622
          Last edited by CaptainMike; July 28, 2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            I'm cooking everything on my property and then I will deliver somewhere else. Oh crap you made me think of something else. I wonder what night Halloween falls on.... I'm at a new residence and this looks like a pretty trick or treat rich neighborhood.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Oct 30th is when I put the razor wire up, fill the moat and release the hounds.

I started to respond and then realized that wasn't AT ALL what you meant...

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Soylent Green come to mind?

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep!

Good replies above. One more thought... sliders. Small buns, small patties, kid size by default.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I came here to suggest sliders, saw this. Sliders are what I do for the cheer'dren. They can eat 1 or 5, but usually a slider doesn't get half eaten and tossed.

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            I told them to get small buns.

I’ve cooked for all ages...minor league baseball 5-7 year olds, Girl Scouts 8-10 year olds, and high School Football and Vollyball teams. I’ve found it always best to fix 2-3 oz patties and let them decide if they want a single, double or triple. Plus it depends on what sides you’ll be serving too.

Comment

When I have small bites in the crowd I always do sliders. My kids loved them when they were that age and preferred the King’s Hawaiian rolls or potato rolls. I rolled the meat out like I was doing Krystal burgers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here