Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smash burger technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smash burger technique?

So I've been doing smash burgers for a while on my Blackstone. I usually do 4 at a time. I'm still trying to figure out the best smashing method. I have a 6" round Lodge press and unless I use wax paper between it and the meat, at least one of them wants to stick to the press. I've tried spraying the press with oil before each smash and that produces varying results and adds extra mess. The wax paper works the best, but is a pain because it wants to maintain it's curled shape from the role.

So what is the secret to getting a consistent smash without mutilating the patty?

I’ve used parchment paper with pretty good results.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used both. I think the wax works a little better. Just trying to see if any kind of paper can be avoided all together.

I just smash with spatula and press with the scraper in my other hand for extra pressure. never had a sticking problem.

Comment

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do as well. Smash with spatula and press further with a second spatula or scraper. If they start to stick to spatula, I have the second to help ‘unstick’ them.

You may have to find a restaurant supply store to get these but they will eliminate the wax paper "curl". They are called patty papers and are specific to stacking.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Great suggestion.

• KenC52
      KenC52 commented
      Editing a comment
      You can get them at Sam's club

All I do is buy a roll of parchment paper and then I’ll cut my own squares. The do curl as I am cutting them but I’ll lay the squares flat in a zip top bag then they get stored under my rolls of aluminum foil, cling wrap and vacuum seal bags. After a few days under these things they stay flat.

I have the same press. I almost always use a piece of parchment paper. It prevents sticking and also helps with clean up.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an idea.

Twisting/rotating the Lodge press before lifting it may help. It does in my case. I also spray the press before using it.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      That's something I tell myself to do and of course I forget to do it!

I will just lightly roll a 3oz patty and smash it on the griddle with my hand then follow that up with using my wide spatula and press down. Works good. I find keeping the spatula on the griddle and hot helps it from sticking to the meat.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose I can set my press on the griddle for a minute and try that.

I use a stainless steel cement trowel and I don't have the problem. If the meat warms a bit after being out of fridge I find has the tendency to more prone to sticking.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya I go straight from the fridge to the griddle for that very reason.

I have been using sheets of parchment paper rather than anything on a roll. That works great for me. Also, I get more mileage out of a box of it by cutting the sheets in half.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Another good idea.

For the paper (whatever type) roll thing................maybe I'm missing a complication, but I just turn it over before use and give it a quick roll the opposite way. Lays reasonably flat every time.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      I do that as well. Just seeing if there is a way to avoid using paper at all.

After many smash burger cooks adhering to the original recipe I’ve settled on "smashing" the burgers using wax paper BEFORE putting on the Weber kettle griddle. Results mirror burgers you get at one of their restaurants.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      drobinson Interesting. Do you still get a good crust pre-smashing?

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Me, too.

Two spatulas. Never thought of usin any kind of paper. If, if one sticks a little, I just scrape it off so gently with the "other" spatula. I usually do about 8 when I cook (that’s 16 to those of you in Oconomowoc).
    Last edited by FireMan; July 23, 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      This.

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

Like FireMan , I use two spatulas. No paper. If I'm worried about the possibility of sticking, e.g., if the meat is a little on the warm side, I "lubricate" the bottom of the spatula by using it to spread oil around on the griddle before smashing.

Comment

I use a stainless steel spatula and push down while pulling across. From the motion you would think that you would be spreading the burger, but it seems to stay in place and pull away from the spatula. If I simply lift, I get sticking

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the "smash and drag" method too.

Hm. This has a caveman ring to it. Maybe all you smoker dudes are rubbing off on me.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Do same.

I use parchment cut into a small square or rectangle depend if I smash one or two patties as a time. I use reuse the same square of parchment for every burger, so it doesn't bother me having to use it and it adds all of 10 seconds of effort to cut a square and hold it under my trowel to smash, so have no burning desire to figure out a way not to use it while not sacrificing the crust.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly how I do it. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixing it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here