Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue cheese burgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue cheese burgers?

When I get an idea in my head, I usually do a quick search to see what the accumulated wisdom is; not just here, but across the ‘net.

So, I think maybe it would be fun to have blue cheese burgers. I have burgers, blue cheese dressing and crumbles, bacon, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, etc etc etc. Just to make sure I’m not forgetting anything, I Google. And these people are mixing Dijon mustard, and tarragon, and Worcestershire sauce, and all this other stuff up into their meat.

Is there something wrong with me? A blue cheese burger should be a burger, with lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, bacon, and blue cheese crumbles, and maybe a little blue cheese dressing for moisture, but not too much.

They’re burgers. Don’t get all foofala about them. Let them be what they are.

You are 100% correct sir!

Comment

That’s a great burger you are talking about.

for my own taste I like a fried onion or shallot on a blue burger. For some reason grilled onion and blue hit me in the "Rich" department sooner than I’d like. I’m Just getting old I think.

but jeeze man I love a grilled red onion, especially on a grilled/toasted pretzel roll.

I can’t do raw onion anymore. It’s too harsh and blows out my palate.

now I’m hungry, again.

edit: now I want a burger or a wedge salad. Thanks Mosca!
      Last edited by HouseHomey; July 19, 2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, what a description, it’s to harsh AND it blows out yer palate. Again, wow. That sounds like a story.

I did some plain old cheeseburgers last night. Now I want a blue cheese burger! Burgers two nights in a row? Why not! Thanks for the inspiration. And I agree. No hoo ha mixed in the meat for me. I want to taste the ground beef au natural.

Comment

You have it correct. There is a lower melting point blue cheese, so having the cheese somewhat melted and just starting to brown is really outstanding!
        Sadly, I don’t remember which cheese it is.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Every time I see the picture of you, it brings back fond memories.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Of what, FireMan ?

THE epic snow cook?

We just had Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese burgers. YUMM.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta try that one. I love that stuff.

Too many people doing recipes on the web try to one up each other with all the talk of 'umami bombs' etc. While amping flavor has it's place, that doesn't mean everything needs 15 ingredients, a point too often lost.

Comment

As an aside: how do you know if your blue cheese is still good? 😁😁😁

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            The blue parts are not moving.....

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            It tastes like chicken.

Also: How about two 1/4 patties, flattened, then pinched together with the blue cheese in between?

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            It gets a nice "melty" consistency when cooked inside the burger. It oozes out when bitten into.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc posted a long time ago that she put the cheese, pre-cooked chopped bacon and sautéed onions in the middle of hers. OUTRAGEOUSLY GOOD!
            Last edited by richinlbrg; July 19, 2020, 04:23 PM.

• Chuck in Charlotte
            Chuck in Charlotte commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe call that a bluesy Lucy, instead of a juicy Lucy?

I don’t add anything to the meat when I make patties.
          Form patties and back in the fridge, just before the grill the or even on the grill, coupla shakes of worchestshire and dry rub or seasoning.
          As for blue cheese never been it’s biggest fan so not on our burgers

Comment

I’ve made blue cheese stuffed burgers with lettuce and tomato and mayo mixed with Franks Red Hot. Those are some damn fine burgers.

Comment

I love blue cheese. Keep blue cheese, thyme compound butter on deck

Comment

I hope it is only a minor faux pas to put the photos here instead of the "What Are You Cooking" topic. This was a truly outstanding hamburger.

The burger is 2 1/4lb patties, flattened, salted and peppered, and brushed with ghost pepper sauce, with a decent amount of blue cheese pinched in between.

Click image for larger version  Name:	395AA9F2-1D63-424B-B8F3-2B365013E28F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	883373

Click image for larger version  Name:	3DDD2D93-D0CD-470D-AA8D-D6303E817A6E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	883374

The stack, from the bottom to the top: sesame seed bun, grilled shallots, bacon, burger, Ramapo tomato, lettuce, schmear of blue cheese dressing, sesame seed bun.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AA48B8C6-566F-45BE-879E-B8AE10D38C61.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	883375

Click image for larger version  Name:	9BE5952C-A258-4B30-9FAB-AD754CEBD219.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	883376

Again, this was one OUTSTANDING burger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6B7E3634-BCEF-4609-85E3-C46945B2B2C8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	883377

An aside: about a month ago I was writing about Kingsford Hardwood Briquets. Well, they finally came up in rotation. My initial impression is that they light fast and burn slow, with a lot of ash, and they don’t seem as hot as KBB. I would say they are definitely a BBQ briquet, not a grilling briquet. They have threads of wood fiber running all through them, and they probably give a pleasant smokiness on low and slow. On high temp grilling I noticed no flavor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8493869B-5EDF-43A0-85C2-BF1B45EC3673.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	883378

Last edited by Mosca; July 19, 2020, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• troymeister
                  troymeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dude...Killer! In the future you may want try Gorgonzola. It is a little mellower than straight up blue cheese. But melts well and and I think it pairs really well with beef and the fat associated with burgers, steak...etc...Just my .02...I just ate and now I want a burger...lol

• Elton's BBQ
                  Elton's BBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you mix the bluecheese into the patties?
                  Looks grand btw!
                  Last edited by Elton's BBQ; July 20, 2020, 02:37 AM.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dayummm!!!!
                  That is one GREAT lookin burger, Brother!!!!

Gawd that looks fantastic!! I made tamales. I’ll trade you!!

Comment

I'd eat that!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here