Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding Beef Twice Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding Beef Twice Question

Instructions for grinding often direct to grind the meat twice. The question I can't find an answer to is this. When double grinding do you grind through the same die twice or should you use a larger die to start then grind through a smaller size to finish the grind?

I've also seen both advised/recommended in tutorials, books, an vidyas...

Reckon I'd go with which grind size ya prefer...

Logic dictates this, in my mind: (shaddup, yall )

1>Startin with th larger die will be less wear an tear on yer grinder

2>Grindin it a second time ensures a better mix

3>if ya want it ground finer, change to th smaller die fer yer second grind

I'm sure many others will chime in, but that's what I do...

I use a Kitchenaid, an have sourced out multiple alternate dies offa Amazon, might consider them options, if interested...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 16, 2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I grind once through die and once through the teeth. Ok, never did that die thing.

Comment

Looks like @Mr Bones finally caught up to logic or logic lapped him in 2020.

IMHO Bonsey nailed it.

BTW I never grind twice unless specifically making a Paté or a specialty item. Some sausage requires it too.

Poking fun at Bonsey cuz he can laugh with the best of us and gives just as well.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones No one like you brother!!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          A comet? Where? Huh?

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones Look out! Here comes Fireman.

Well I've only done it twice. Both times I used my KitchenAid, used the smaller die and ground twice. I did it twice because it looked more like the ground chuck I was used to buying in the stores and it seemed to mix it all up more better.
        Going forward...
        If I'm going to grind twice I should try the larger die before the smaller one as it probably would save some wear and tear. How much? Who knows.
        And I should try only grinding once. It chops up the fat pretty good so I don't think there would be any rendering issues. And I should try it to see how the texture and possibly the flavor changes. Who knows, I may like it!

Looking forward to the much more tenured pitmaster's responses.

Comment

Once

Comment

I actually did this yesterday. Ground up 3 chuck roasts, choice, twice through the larger die on my Kitchenaid. Makes for a more uniform blend, my opinion only.

Comment

If I'm grinding game meat, and incorporating an additional fat source (pork belly, or brisket fat, etc) I will grind twice for a better mix.
              I also put the meat and attachments in the freezer between grinds. If my hands don't hurt from the cold, it doesn't feel like I'm doing it right.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha. That’s funny

I only grind once. I just grind for burgers and like a coarse grind so I get those nice little pockets and nooks around the edges of the patties.

Comment

I grind everything twice.. as stated above a coarse grind first is way easier on the grinder . Then grind through a finer plate for the final grind.i

Comment

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is what I do.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here