Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding chuck roast for burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding chuck roast for burger

I've got a couple of chuck roasts that have been in vacuum sealed bags for a few weeks and I'm going to grind them for another batch of burger meat. Do you see any problem with dunking them into the boiling water for a few seconds even though they are still frozen, then cutting them into cubes/strips, then grinding them? It would be more difficult to cube or cut into strips while they're frozen so should I let them thaw in the fridge first, then dunk, get cold again, and then grind? Ideally I do everything the day I buy them, but I got these on sale and put them in the freezer hoping the meat supply issue related to the pandemic would eventually straighten out, which it seems to have around here.
    Thanks.

When are you making the burgers? Today? Others will have to talk about the boiling water, as I have no experience with that. But a sheet pan will help with the thawing those out a bit quicker. Or you could set in cold water for a while to help with it. I have also read of using a Sous Vide method to thaw meat out, but it’s a lower temp that doesn’t cook.

I’d be worried that boiling water would not get through to the middle, but?? Perhaps others can help with that.

Comment

Just thaw them overnight or so in the fridge. Simpler is better.

Comment

I grind mine when they are still partially frozen. Not rock hard, but pretty firm. And I try and keep the grinder parts really cold to. Can't comment on the boiling water part, but I have ground a few chucks and butts, and I have never taken that step. Probably not safe, as noted in this from the free side: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-safe-burgers Towards the bottom of the article Meathead says this:

"(3) Pasteurize the meat. Food scientists say that if you dip a steak in boiling water (212°F) for 20 seconds before grinding it yourself, it is made safe. I have tried it, and although the exterior turns gray, it grinds well and makes fine flavorful rare patties. I use the method in this video. And for those of you with really sharp eyes, the bacon had been dipped off camera and before I chopped it, so it was safe, and after I pasteurized the steak I cleaned the cutting board before I put it down. That's my story and I'm stickin to it."

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          That video is always fun to watch. I bet I've watched it 4 or 5 times over the last couple of years, whenever I come across it.

I use a grinder on my Kitchen Aid mixer instead of the food processor that he shows. I wonder if one is better than the other. My money's on the meat grinder.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; July 16, 2020, 06:36 AM.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc, I use the KA grinder too. Guess I need to start doing the dip - I never knew how unsafe my old food handling practices were before I came here lol

Apart from defrosting in the refrigerator,for me, the best defrost method is the cast iron skillet. The iron pulls the cold out of the meat fast. I keep it sealed in it's vacuum pouch, set it in the skillet and it defrosts fast. Just don't forget it

Comment

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          An enameled cast iron sink works well, too!

I boil chuckys for 20 to 30 sec before grinding. I also swish them around in the boiling water to make sure I've gotten all the nooks and crannies. I have not tried from frozen, and don't think I will because some of those nooks and crannies may be frozen together. I don't think it would be necessary to completely thaw them, but I would want it thawed enough to allow the hot water to get to every surface.

If thawed, I freeze for 15 to 20 min after cubing to help with the grind.

Comment

I'd not defrost on the counter only because I think you'll have to leave it too long and the surface might go above 40F for longer than I'd want to see. The sheet pan method works well on things that are thin because of the conductivity and because, being thin, the entire thing will defrost well before the outside warms and is above 40 for any length of time.

On boiling... it depends how you cook your burgers. I dislike medium rare burgers, and always cook them medium or better (one reason I use a min of 20% fat), so I'm not worried about surface contamination being mixed in. But I think it's a good idea in general and doesn't hurt the final product.

Comment

I've done the boiling water but not with frozen meat. If the meat has been folded or curled in order to be packaged, then I definitely would thaw before boiling to make sure to hit those areas. But just to be safe, personally I would thaw to a certain point before boiling and grinding.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice. I decided to thaw them in the fridge so that the whole surface area gets "opened up" as RonB and JimLinebarger suggested. I'll go with my usual process and get the freezer stocked up again.

Comment

IMHO..... Good god no.

I only cook my burgers once. The hot water is a no go for me. Others do though.

I never intentionally cut or grind frozen meat. Cut your meat into long strips rather than cubes and you’ll find the process faster and easier.

I too use a KA grinder at home. Love it. The food processor I avoid for grinding...UGH! Hate it!

If you just cut your meat when it’s cold your knife will thank you as will you grinder, motor and finished product. If it’s too warm for your liking pop it back in the fridge or freezer for a
                Few minutes.

This is just me though. Others have their own methods.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Speaking of grinding, we are doing the andouille tomorrow. I don't know if we will bother stuffing it though, probably just make some patties and keep some to mix in with chuck for burgers.

I think the grinder does a way better job of chopping meat into even bits. The food processor is okay if you want to grind a little bit of meat, but the results are more variable, IMO.

I agree with HouseHomey about slicing meat into strips, not cubes. The strips need to be smaller than the opening that feeds into the grinder -- think long and skinny. Lower the strip into the feed opening, and let the grinder catch the end and pull the strip into the auger. Much easier to do, easier on the grinder motor, less chance of clogging, and no need (or very little need) to use that dang plunger.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bingo!! I think I’ve shouted this from the rooftops. Funny how we are all passionate about certain things. (Us cooks always have a good amount of arrogance too, it’s a survival thing)

"(3) Pasteurize the meat. Food scientists say that if you dip a steak in boiling water (212°F) for 20 seconds before grinding it yourself, it is made safe. I have tried it, and although the exterior turns gray, it grinds well and makes fine flavorful rare patties. I use the method in this video. And for those of you with really sharp eyes, the bacon had been dipped off camera and before I chopped it, so it was safe, and after I pasteurized the steak I cleaned the cutting board before I put it down. That's my story and I'm stickin to it."[/QUOTE]

You knew exactly what I was thinking! lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here