Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those cooking frozen burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those cooking frozen burgers

Pursuant to the topic of Meat District burgers,

If you buy them frozen, do you cook them from frozen, or do you thaw them first? Or, if you buy them "fresh" and freeze them, do you thaw them,or cook them from frozen?

I’ve always thawed them first. But I’ve read that you should cook them from frozen.

Mosca, I cannot speak to the Meat District burgers I've seen discussion of today, but I *used* to do some big cooks using the big boxes or bags of frozen burgers available at Sam's Club, and those always said to cook from frozen, and I did so without issue. I usually did it for church youth group cookouts and such. Sometimes my mother in law bought them as the meat for the July 4th cookouts, where I always manned the grill.

Basically, the patties are thin enough to where they thaw as they cook, and they cook pretty quickly. By the time the color is good on the outside, its thawed and cooked on the inside.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Been there done that.

I thaw them first.

Comment

If I'm cooking patties that come frozen, I just cook from frozen. Thawing seems like an unnecessary step, since they will thaw on the grill. Go with a lower heat to ensure they get done more evenly. Season when they're ready to flip.

Comment

If i'm cooking a ton of burgers for a large crowd I cook from frozen. If it's for 3-4 people and I have the time I'll thaw but it really doesn't matter..from frozen works just as good!!

Comment

I have done them from frozen lots of times with no problems.

Comment

I always throw them on frozen!

Comment

Half thawed.

Comment

I just did a couple from the box I bought 2weeks ago. Salted & peppered em & by the time coals were ready they half thawed. Turned good for a premade burger. If ya think about it, I don’t think it matters much if ya do em from frozen. It’s not a steak or a roast. They are thinner & it is ground something. If ya get a good brand or batch, good for ya. My preference has & will be, make my own. Haven’t had a frozen that’ll beat a good fresh.

Comment

I used to insist they be thawed, now I cook exclusively from frozen.
                  Can't explain the difference jus just better from frozen IMHO.
                  FireMan has the ultimate correct answer, make your own.
                  Something I have gotten out of the habit of lately.

Comment

It’s rare for us to have frozen burgers, but if we have’em they go on frozen.

Comment

Yup...I cook them frozen

Comment

Frozen for sure. Haven't done them in a long time, nor have I tried Meat District. Whether it was the cheapy frozen patties or Bubba burgers I throw them on frozen. It's what instructions say to do.

Comment

I cook them frozen. I leave them alone until I can see the pink turn a bit red then flip them. Keep them going until the red stops flowing and the juice is almost clear. Take them off. Gracefully accept the accolades and praises of my adoring masses.

Seriously, they just work.

Comment

The only frozen burgers I ever cook are ones I made from fresh ground beef and froze myself. I always thaw them before cooking. I can't explain why, but I do. Cooking from fresh beef that hasn't been frozen is better, but, being as there's only 2 of us, I could never benefit from the price break on "family packs" if I didn't make patties and freeze them, so I do.

Comment

• Mosca
                              Mosca commented
                              Editing a comment
                              See, that’s what I’ve always done, too, and why I asked the question. I’ll buy ground beef for tacos or chili or meat sauce, and it’s 6lbs. I use 3lbs for the meal, and make the other 3lbs into burgers and vacuum freeze them in 2-packs. Then when we have burgers, I thaw two. But if I can cook them from frozen and they taste the same, well, why not?

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here