Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some damn good store-bought burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some damn good store-bought burgers

A company called Meat District has started marketing this product across the USA early this year. They have something like 14 different varieties. Available fresh, or frozen.

Three of those (fresh) varieties showed up in my local Weis Market the week before the 4th: The OG, which is a short rib/chuck/brisket blend; The Steakhouse, which is tri-tip seasoned with garlic and peppercorns; and The Pitmaster, which is brisket seasoned with bacon and bbq rub. They were on sale, regularly $6.99 for four 1/4lb burgers, reduced to $4.49. Not cheap, but if the quality is there not bad.

The Steakhouse is a damn good burger. The seasoning is pronounced but not overpowering, and it has that iron-y taste that you get with tri-tips. You know it’s tri-tip.

I haven’t tried The Pitmaster yet. The reason I’m writing this before I’ve tried The Pitmaster is because I have to tell you about The OG...

The OG is OUTSTANDING. It just EXUDES great burger taste. It is juicy, meaty, steak-y, fatty, beefy... everything you want in a burger. I’ve ordered burgers from Pat LaFrieda, and thought they were the best burgers I’ve ever tasted. These are as good as those.

Promotional material has them available at supermarkets across the US, including Kroger’s, Target... heck, let me quote: "Meat District premium products will be sold at supermarkets nationwide, including Albertson’s, Kroger, Ralph’s, Pavilions, Vons, Stater Brothers, Winn Dixie, Food Lion and Hy-Vee."

Highly recommended by Mosca, whose "if you could only have one food" food is burgers.

Meat District

Click image for larger version

Name:	9B63945B-C165-4B70-B70C-ED81EA017779.jpeg
Views:	600
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	880222

Thanks for the tip! I will look out for these. Like you, I feel that when in doubt, have a burger!

Comment

I'll look at for those for sure.

Our Kroger has carried a brand called Schweid and Sons. It was pretty tasty.

But honestly, I haven't bought a burger patty in so long, I don't have a good baseline for comparison.

My wife normally insists on at least 90% lean ground meat...... So...... Again maybe not the best judge

Gonna have to make 58limited 'S blend..... Or trade him something for some ground meat.
      Last edited by BFlynn; July 13, 2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I know 80/20 chuck tastes way better.
        This is not a hill I'm willing to die on.
        Wife used to exclusively buy 97/3.
        90/10 is the compromise.

Took me a bit to figure out decent burgers with lean meat. Can't over cook them, for sure.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had those Schweid & Sons. That’s a good burger.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        BFlynn what you do is mix in some diced up bacon to up the fat content, and just tell her you are making special "bacon burgers". I did that once when the wife brought home a bunch of 90/10 beef for a July 4th cook. Actually, I think I went to get bags of ice, and also got the bacon and some ground pork that I mixed in, without telling the wife.

Food Lion near me may have them; I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Funny I just discovered these myself. My local costco has them and they are in fact delish!

Comment

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Curious. Are those all 1 pound packages?

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Enter code "first25" for 25% off your first order.

The packages are bigger at Costco

...I've also been eating these a lot!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, frozen are 2 lbs I think.

Interesting. I’ve seen these and passed as I usually do. I think an exception is in order.

Comment

Are the Costco version frozen? Just so I know where to look for them.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              They are, just picked up a box.

Thanks for this. Looks like you do online ordering . Not just burgers. Will need to check this out. The Ultimate Grill Pack seems to good to be true and free shipping! Anyone deal with them online, no way I'll find this locally.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t forget the code "first25".

What I wanna know is what ever happened to Bubba Burgers ?? They were a hot ticket item for a while there,,,,,

And who can't forget the Kahuna Burger........??????

Comment

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              That is a VERY tasty burger

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              It seems I see Bubba burgers in an end cap freezer at Target, but I’ve never bought them, as I am usually making my own with ground chuck.

• au4stree
              au4stree commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried Bubba burgers for the first time shortly after the lock down, it's all the store had if you wanted burgers. They weren't terrible, but we much prefer fresh ground chuck or similar. Love the movie reference btw.

Mosca thanks for the heads up! Got a 4lb box from Costco an hour ago at $19.99 and looking forward to some good eats!

Comment

So one thing I've been curious about - because I'm a heathen and haven't ever had burger with named cuts in it - do these things need less time In the grill then the other frozen burgers due to (what I perceive as) lower fat content then the other varieties of frozen burger?

I haven't temped any (I've been lazy when I cook these...), just used the eye ball and taste test methods, so there is a pretty good chance my observations are flawed...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                jus cook em til theys done like ya likes em, same as any other burger...
                Easy, peasy...

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                They have higher fat content, that’s one reason why they taste better!

I haven’t cooked them from frozen. Cooking from fresh, I find that flattening them with a spatula to about 3/8” before cooking allows them to cook through while still retaining juiciness. My method is flatten, salt and pepper, then grill.

• Loren
                Loren commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah...that is probably what has vexed me! I'm (again) being lazy and cooking from frozen 🤦

Thanks for the tip. Will see if I can find them.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here