Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck steaks for hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck steaks for hamburger

Hello all. I was wondering what the difference was between a good marbled Chuck roast and a good Chuck steak for processing into hamburger patties. I thought Meathead wrote that he suggests Chuck steak for hamburger if your going to use Chuck. I used what Kroger said was a Chuck steak ounce for burger and it was great with a little bacon mixed in, but is there a difference? Also what do you guys and gals like to grind for your hamburger? I've heard a lot of great cuts on this site. Thank you all!

I’ve done ribeye, short ribs, chuck. All are great. Brisket is another one that quite a few will use here - I have yet to grind brisket for burgers, but I have used brisket for sausage and it was fantastic!

Comment

Chuck brings an optimum ratio of fat & lean to the party, unless it came off a 156 month old cow.

Comment

I don’t use chuck ... but I use chuck-eye steak (a different beast) every chance I get.

Comment

Here is my opinion: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...der#post879160

Comment

I recently used some ribeye steaks to make some burger. It was very good. I didn't buy the ribeye roll intending to grind it. I wet aged it then sliced it into steaks. I really missed the boat picking this roll out. They were as tough as a pigs nose! The only thing I could think to do was grind them, it worked out fine. Thank goodness Attjack posted when the kitchenaid grinder attachments were on sale or I wouldn't have been ready for this.
            Last edited by Oak Smoke; July 11, 2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Great recovery!

• wu7y
              wu7y commented
              Editing a comment
              That was a superb recovery! Congratulations. I was about to opine that when rib steak is ground for hamburger the terrorists have won.

Thanks everyone for your help and responses. MBMorgan I will look for Chuck eye steak or ask a butcher for some. I will buy chick roasts at Kroger when they have buy one get but have rarely noticed Chuck steaks. I'll keep my eye out for chuck-eye steak. Thanks

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve74 my Kroger doesn’t separate the chuck eye from the rest of the chuck, they just sell it all as "under blade chuck roast" (or steak)... the only difference between steak & roast is the thickness, so roast works great for grinding! What I’ve learned is to look for the (few) really well marbled chuck roasts (they are mostly chuck eye), then I cut the eye out for steaks, grind the rest, or, if no eyes available, just but the chuck roast on sale and grind. . It is awesome

Sorry about my spelling errors on that last post.

Comment

@58 limited thanks for that link. Wow that looks and sounds great. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here