Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The real reason I bought my vintage meat grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real reason I bought my vintage meat grinder

Hamburgers! I bought my Hobart 4312 meat grinder with the intention of making a custom burger blend but, since it arrived during hunting season, I got sidetracked with processing game for friends and with making sausage. Finally, during the COVID lock down in April, I made my burger blend. Hit the nail on the head the first try. I've made burgers, meatballs (Swedish and Italian), meat loaf, and Bolognese sauce with this blend. All turned out great!

I blended brisket, chuck roast, and short rib meat. This is probably a 65/35 lean to fat ratio but could be 60/40. The burgers are so danged good and juicy. Here are the ones I made yesterday, served with white cheddar, a fire roasted Anaheim pepper, spicy Whataburger ketchup, and pepper jack boudin:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200710_210209.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	879010

Here is the blend:

14.2 lb packer brisket, low choice grade and untrimmed (43.3%)
    10.2 lb chuck roast (31.1%)
    8.4lb short rib meat (25.6%)

Cubed, mixed, and ground with a 3/8 plate, mixed again and ground with a 3/16 plate.

Price came to $4.08/lb.
    Last edited by 58limited; July 6, 2021, 03:03 PM.

Jerod Broussard

Gawd man!!! I’ve been grinding brisket ever since JRod suggested it with a pound of bacon.

But anything off that forequarter is gonna be beefy for sure.

love this.

Comment

58limited. When are we going to turn that old bucket o bolts into an offset pit with fins??

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Pit under the hood, salad bar in the trunk?

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking more firebox in the trunk and parrilla under the hood.

Awesome looking burgers!

Comment

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing the mix as well! That’s gotta be full of flavor!

Comment

I like it!!!

Comment

Show us the grinder!

Comment

That sounds delicious!
            Do you deliver to Houston?

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              If the price is right: I like beer, BBQ, and whisky (not necessarily in that order).

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              I have plenty of beer and bourbon.

After seeing your posts, not sure you'd be impressed with my bbq, but I'm sure we can work it out.

Nice work!

Comment

I decided to bump this post instead of making a separate post since it is basically just me using my grinder to make meaty ambrosia for the grill. I'm down to two packs of ground beef and I'm out of venison/beef blend so I decided to remedy that today.

The other reason I decided to do this is that my freezer went out a week ago (fixed, it was the evaporator fan motor) and as I hurriedly shifted frozen foods around to save them I was reminded that I have some venison that hasn't been used yet: mostly stew type meat and other cuts usually used for sausage or grinding. I also had a prime brisket in there. It is over a year old: price was $2.98/lb. Now at HEB that brisket would be about $5.99/lb the last time I looked. I needed some extra beef so my local Market Basket has chucks on sale, almost 30% less than HEB. They are select Black Angus but looked really good: I may go get more.

Added to this are the trimmings from the Creekstone Farms ribeye roasts that I dry aged last month, some fat trimmings, and some brisket trimmings I had frozen awhile back as well.

Here is the breakdown:

Brisket: 10.8 lbs
              Chuck: 7.57 lbs
              Venison: 16.7 lbs
              Dry aged pellicle: 5.1 lbs (mostly lean, fat reserved for later use)
              Brisket trim: 2.9 lbs, about 30% lean
              Beef fat: 2.9 lbs

Total: 45 3/4 lbs.

Chuck roasts. My phone is more of an industrial use phone (you can run over it with a truck) and not really the best for photography. These roasts are a beautiful red color that doesn't come through in the pictures:

Click image for larger version  Name:	venison_burger1.jpg Views:	41 Size:	4.11 MB ID:	1196329

The brisket. I used my new Hammer Stahl 10" chef's knife to cube the meat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	venison_burger2.jpg Views:	42 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	1196328

Look at the marbling of the point!

Click image for larger version  Name:	venison_burger3.jpg Views:	41 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	1196331

Venison up top with the fat spread over it. Beef below. Both are coarse ground. Switched grinding blades and put the grinder back into the freezer. Will mix and regrind when the grinder is cold again. I package my hamburger in 1 lb packs. You can buy premade vacuum bags - costs a little more but saves time and wear and tear on the vacuum sealer. I didn't think about that. So, off to make 45 bags with the vacuum sealer...

Click image for larger version  Name:	venison_burger4.jpg Views:	41 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	1196330

Mixing. Yep, that's all 45+ pounds of meat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	venison_burger5.jpg Views:	41 Size:	4.61 MB ID:	1196332

And grinding again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	venison_burger6.jpg Views:	41 Size:	4.85 MB ID:	1196333

45 lbs vacuum sealed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	venison_burger7.jpg Views:	41 Size:	4.46 MB ID:	1196334

"But wait!" you ask. "There was 45.75 lbs of meat, where is the other 3/4 lbs?" Don't worry, I have a plan for that this evening:

Aftermath: The burger was delicious!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	burger1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.31 MB ID:	1196920 Click image for larger version  Name:	burger2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	1196921

Also, The ground meat takes up way less freezer space. All 45 lbs on the top shelf plus 5 quarts of soups and stocks. The only things that were not in the freezer before processing were the chuck roasts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	freezer_shelf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.24 MB ID:	1196922

Last edited by 58limited; March 27, 2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                Uncle Bob commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent!!!

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a good few hours of work but lot's of reward.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here