Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of briquets for one burger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I was thinking Vortex as well.

Kathryn

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe 4 if you spaced them correctly.

• holehogg
    replied
    Just wondering if a vortex using fewer briquets might work. I have only.cooked burgers over live fire and flattop so am clueless.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    For two burgers, I use the full sized Weber chimney upside down. I fill it with charcoal and use the small burner in the Performer to light the coals. When they are ashed over I add a small grate and the burgers. I flip every minute until they are 140°. On the rare occasions that I cook really thick burgers, I front sear and finish in the Kettle tryin' to keep the temp below 300°. I still cook to 140°. I do normally grind my own beef after a ~ 30 sec dip in boiling water.

Leave a comment:

• Sweaty Paul
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones you've got this down to a science Bonesy! Now I know what smells so good when we get the occasional east wind here in Hays (instead of the usual south wind).

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    For one or two burgers...I might just use say 6-8 in my small chimney starter with a grate on top? Or just use my gasser.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    If I’m doing just a couple burgers or brats, I don’t bother with my 23”!kettle. I fire up the Charbroil Grill2Go mini gasser. Gets blazing hot in under ten minutes and slam bam thank you... well you get it. Dinner is served. Makes great burgers, brats, and the like.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    For 1 burger, you could use 4 briquettes in the chimney

But really, if I'm only doing 1 burger I just use the cast iron on the stove

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    I did 2 burgers on the Joe, direct, with 25 coals. I dumped them into the chimney and that’s how many came out. They didn’t really get any sear at all, but they were really great burgers. If I formed circles, I could get away with fewer coals, maybe between 15 and 20. Less than that and I don’t think the grate temp would be high enough, even covered; it won’t get enough radiant heat to cook through before drying out.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Mosca I suppose it depends if you're doing all sear or indirect. A hungry person could cook a burger on 6 methinks, but if you wanted indirect I suppose a few extra coals wouldn't hurt.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    That was the first number I thought, too, but then I thought about heating the entire volume of the kettle. You got the radiant heat, sure, but there’s also the ambient heat.

I’m not going to experiment tonight, I’m too hungry. I want that burger NOW.

• Troutman
    replied
    I don't count, I just dump them in there. If it looks good then I go with it. I could probably be tagged a charcoal waster.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Th majority of th time I'm only doin a couple burgers, I'll use my Smokey Joe with bout 20 unlit, an do em indirect, with a little split of hickory in there, say roughly 3" long, an bout th girth of a good steakhouse fry.

I toss in 10-12 lit, run em with th lid on, check em every 5-10 minutes, rotate, flip as needed.
    Sometimes I'll move em over direct, do a lil sear at th end.
    I really like th flavour this method provides, an do th same with pork burgers, as well as brats...
    Yer briq math is probly purty spot on, to cook a single, or pair of burgers, direct

Oops, fergot to mention, I usually have th vents open on me Joe halfway, mebbe less, might close em some if it's runnin hotter than I wish...Ambient temp make a difference...

Jus wanted to add vent settins, in case anybody here wants to try my method.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 8, 2020, 05:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I think that's plenty, I think you could realistically use even less. 6 maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    started a topic Number of briquets for one burger?

Number of briquets for one burger?

What do you think is the fewest briquets you can use to make one burger on a Weber 22”, with or without S&S? Do you think it would be different for a Smokey Joe (closer to coals)?

I’m just guessing that the answer is probably around 10 in a Joe, 15 in a 22”. I think 20 will do a pair of burgers in a Joe.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here