Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flavor of smoked burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flavor of smoked burger

so i made smoked burgers not that long ago and they turned out juicy but the flavor i wasn't completely thrilled with. it honestly tasted just like a hot, juicy, hamburger textured landjaeger. 100% landjaeger. that isn't the worst flavor to be experiencing but it's just not what i prefer when i eat a hamburger.

what i did was get my smoker up to 225, put on about 2oz of hickory and waited until it started smoking, put on the 80/20 burgers (seasoned with salt, pepper, and some garlic powder) until they were about 140, moved them to a hot grill and reverse seared them. i don't see anything overly wrong with my technique so maybe i just don't care for smoked hamburgers? what are your thoughts and is your experience similar to mine?

I don't want smoked burger or steak. I don't even need smoked chuck (browned and braised is fine by me).

For burgers and steaks, it is more about the grilled flavor over an open flame. I don't mind going indirect, but NO wood, just whatever flavor attaches itself from burning briquettes while going indirect. I've pan fried steaks in olive oil to medium-rare that were TOTALLY satisfying.

Comment

Not for some people, I love em, tastes like some applewood smoked bacon is in there. I like smoked steak too, so maybe just not your thing. Had to look up landjaeger, and I like those too.

Comment

That's exactly how I do them. I like em, but I prefer em unsmoked, like Jerod.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Jerod. I'm not a big fan of smoked steak or burgers (or even chicken for that matter).

Comment

So when reverse searing hamburgers on the webber kettle, my wife says that they are too smokey although I didn't use any wood to smoke. What can I do to remove some of the smoke taste? I love the flavor but she doesn't.

Comment

• ghipes
              ghipes commented
              Editing a comment
              FLBuckeye - The coals from the starter were ashed over, but I had other fresh goals in the kettle, that might just be the cause. I'll try again this weekend with all ashed coals. Thanks.

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep us posted ghipes

• ghipes
              ghipes commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry for the long delay. I've done burgers a few more times and didn't have the issues again. I ensure that all coals are fully ashed and now no more over smoky flavor. The wife is happy!

I have done smoked burgers but my temp was around 300. Maybe Hickory is too strong for porous patties.
            Last edited by Ernest; June 4, 2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here