Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a burger stuffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use a burger stuffer?

I grilled some burgers tonight. My wife did a good job of forming them under the direction of don’t make them too thick and make them as flat as possible (for searing purposes).

They still ended up balled up when they were grilled. They looked like she just balled up some ground chuck after they were grilled (but looked just fine going onto the grill). Made me wonder about my personal rule of "burger presses are stupid".

So, do you use a burger press? What are the pros and cons? I’m rethinking my presupposition.

My wife had bought one, I never used it but she did one time with success.

One of my first jobs at the restaurant I worked in after graduating to the grill was making burgers. We didn't use any gadgets other than a scale for portioning (which after you got the hang of it you didn't need that either), we did normal patties and stuffed burgers and honestly its just faster to do stuffed ones by hand.

There's a few methods, but in the place I worked we either did your normal hand formed ball x2, flatten both then pinch the edges after putting the stuffing in. Or we did the ball up and then poke a hole to stuff, and flatten afterwards. If just a single chunk of cheese I prefer the ball and press inside method, if multiple ingredients then I like the "ravioli or wonton" method.

There are more by hand methods, and some use household items like muffin tins too. The burger stuffer works fine, it's just extra steps and extra cleanup.

Comment

I tried usin' one once, but she refused...

Comment

Yes, I have. Got one from Grillaholics. Minimum size 6 oz. 8 is better. It took a bit of trial and error, but I've mastered it. When I make it, no roll. To much for me. Fork and a knife. Just dont get carried away with the filling. Again, trial and error. My goto is cheese, onions chopped and cowboy candy.

Comment

This is the one I use: https://www.lemproducts.com/product/...rs-fry-cutters I line it with wax paper to make cleanup easier.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a beast

No, I tend to just do smash burgers now. But the old thumb in the middle of the patty works to keep things flat if you're grate grilling.

Comment

• jerrybell
            jerrybell commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack - I like when you change your avatar to a new picture of your dog. Sorry I don't know if it's male or female, but its a beautiful dog.

Just like burritos. Best by hand and not to fat.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Preach!

Got one as a gift. Used it to make meatball patties stuffed with pasta. Promptly trashed it.

Comment

Presupposition of burgers, hmmmm, I’ll have to get back to ya on that one. 🕶

Comment

We used to get some pre-made patties with the half beef we got each Christmas. If I'm making the patties myself, I often use a press. I like the consistent thickness and my press puts a dent in the center.

Comment

Thumb press in the middle of the patty works for me. Some do that and then place an ice cube in the depression.

Comment

I was given a press because of complaints that my smash burgers were too big and thick!?!?!?
                  Gee, I thought that was sorta the general idea in this whole BBQing thing....
                  Not a bad rig, meat does go farther but its no faster as you have to work the meat into all the nooks and crannies as the patties are hex shaped.
                  Usually forget I have it or can't find it anyway.

Comment

• pkadare
                    pkadare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do you smash them and then cook them? That's not the correct approach for smash burgers. You want to put the ball of ground beef on to a screaming hot, flat surface, and then smash. This should help - https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/...a-smashin.html

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well there's my problem, I press em then cook em….I learned something today....
                    Thank you

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Here's the recipe I follow, much closer to home aka the Pit.

Create the skinny, crispy edged burgers that you love at diners with this simple recipe for the Wimpy burger. Infinitely better than any mass produced quarter pounder, these homemade diner-style burgers are small disks, 4 ounces or less, pressed flat and cooked on a griddle to maximize the flavor and crispness.

I mix in the pepper, onion powder and garlic powder per the recipe, and then I've found that if I use a 1/3 cup measuring scoop that is in our kitchen drawer, I get a consistent size of meat ball. I just fill a bowl up with meat balls, layered with wax paper, and keep in the fridge until grilling time.
                    Last edited by jfmorris; December 3, 2019, 08:07 PM.

I have this little device https://www.amazon.com/Stufz-STUF-Bu.../dp/B004HV1PDO.
                  It works great for stuffing burgers except after the 2nd or 3rd stuffin' process, I can't keep the rest from sticking to the device plates without cleaning and rubbing with more olive oil.
                  The burgers that don't stick taste great and stay together during the cook (as long as you don't add too much cheese, or other items). It is very frustrating when the meat sticks to the plates though...

Comment

I do not use a press. I pretty much only make smash burgers now. I will make meat balls, then throw what ever else I want on the burger onto of the ball, then press it all together.

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread for a moment, @scottranda.

@jerrybell Thanks!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190921_133627.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	775517

Name:	4PoZeSiwwmsGTjOfR6aZ_SZpF2d0BzS5BlnGvDkOOWHO2VDy4GQV0eaLNu9TcxLqioKT2iB9BAyEC5GUHFlE0Zos5XsarfAnR060Ud-Nv4GJZvM8FDEhv6TRc2lX6qquoDQ0kjUJD7fw46TFWF9B2haY6szXpYiI-YOmgp9h-h0ModtUEnwLXudoL6sSk3Esp4kjt65_2cOlX186uDQ-yvYYqvPuTCKP8FNZwdaCDMDkMAYb44KuaAKHebqXOUL
Views:	254
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	775518

Name:	H0JqTbF7FImOJPKrcOkapnsyGkG29xhAlwMz52PLirm8oWQ75EVQsnsnomSz14Ams1RKmjpg6wwCe0AgbI3G75V3dZ15OY1w7Xw3xVoVCWVSfbaWJ0CM11RSY7wggyEivh3T7Hn7DtfOe-2MEihouZVoaR_7nQtTgGi1VOTP9JfwoFDwZPllcDrT-PCUZfxHvjMS6b4nQ3Usure2wVJasYRi3_7pQZi515xa3hIT0cLFTLzFMNyAonPTVVNF3US
Views:	265
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	775519

Name:	gpQNIB4ZuuqLHl7BHJgB80j1yBeVVueSXXkCrxwZc8hfzRGkn5Z3nws9MfI86eFsu0zVFVH9wU5OfzD0NB3HJyEHZF01qcBd4jsEH0Mv6cF4DRkRoU4JjNKzk1QKZ03_a2q9ZNcqJP8OgzJVhjEd_jD0mnTAq4Fh5ciV2pdpls6FE8WeeBvbYwTqaj6qGCEl0Qk7UBc1YVTVj5GIc9TX71Ph_oi45QXudP-uNTEQdR6qowUmBY4FwnnacPoqSL1
Views:	283
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	775520

Comment

• smokin fool
                        smokin fool commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Always in for doggie pics!

• jerrybell
                        jerrybell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cool. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here