Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenji does smash burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenji does smash burgers

This got my mouth waterin'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-EAQvw0Ml5g

Last edited by RonB; October 21, 2019, 06:03 PM.

Smashing thanks for sharing I use a trowl and a 8 inch paint scraper that I use to flip the patty after scraping. I tried this smaller double patty thing a couple weeks back for 36 burgers (60 patties) and it didn't turn out as I planned actually was a bit of a flop. 😶
    They shrunk too much. I came to the assumption / conclusion that the ground beef was too lean. Will be trying again but with further experimenting before going out and doing a whole bunch.😊

Comment

Good stuff but that's not a smash burger.

^^^ I take that back. I apparently watched the wrong video.
      Last edited by Attjack; October 21, 2019, 02:17 PM. Reason: Correcting my initial incorrect statement.

Comment

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        On a whim, I watched the video you linked, and him throwing the patties to prove a points was hilarious. "did you hit my nards".. hahaha

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - the link takes you to the very end of the video and butter steak comes up. It is a good video, too. Just not smashed burger.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I just tried correcting this three times. No matter what I do, it starts at the end...

Originally posted by holehogg View Post
      Smashing thanks for sharing I use a trowl and a 8 inch paint scraper that I use to flip the patty after scraping. I tried this smaller double patty thing a couple weeks back for 36 burgers (60 patties) and it didn't turn out as I planned actually was a bit of a flop. 😶
      They shrunk too much. I came to the assumption / conclusion that the ground beef was too lean. Will be trying again but with further experimenting before going out and doing a whole bunch.😊
      My experience is the best way to ruin a good burger is to use meat that's too lean. 15% minimum, 20% ideal. Also, plain ole ground chuck for me. No need for fancier cuts.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I figured, I guess as well, but I was hoping you had a secret technique that I needed to know. I'm still pretty enamored with my newish grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid but I might have to have the butcher do it for me next time. That reminds me of a story. When I sat down at the bar last year and realized my butcher was sitting next to me I immediately bought him a drink. I mean why wouldn't I?

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Motorcycle mechanics and butchers ... yeah, gotta take good care of 'em.

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        When I grind my own burgers I usually trim off all the visible fat I can see and then weigh the trimmed roast and the fat that I trimmed off. If that doesn't do the 80/20 then I take some beef fat from the freezer. One of our local grocery stores gives the fat to me no charge if they have any. I usually wait until I know they are having a sale on prime rib before I ask for the fat. :-)

When I make them, I follow his advise from his book that says to make them about the size of a golf ball. Then I let them sit in the fridge, uncovered. I also handle them gently and I don't work them too much. I think this helps with the texture and binding of the burger when being pressed.

I get the griddle hot then I add finely-shaved onions, place the ball on the onions with parchment paper on the top of the burger ball, I then smash them with a press. (the paper keeps the meat from sticking to the press) I use the Blackstone press or a trowel. I let them go for about two mins, then flip. I add seasoning and I give them about 1 min on that side, then add processed American cheese. I then scrape them and double stack them all.

The buns get a spread of ghee and are toasted next to the burgers. I generally make some homemade animal sauce, add avocado and bacon and the is my version of the smasher. I like to use 80/20 Burger or SRF hamburger. They are quite the hit around my parts.

Comment

Make these all the time now for a couple years.

maximize contact=maximum crust.
        Use no leaner than 20%. Did this once with 10% beef, just don’t do it.

Comment

It looks good of what he does. But after seeing it I prefer Guga’s, which I do & my wife & friends love. They would probably like Kenji’s too. I have posted once & it was two 2 1/2 to 3 oz GChk, with a slice of cheese on each pattie. In my case the bun matters, I ‘ll go with a brioche & NO junk (sauce) on it. You want mustard, onions, pickles, it’ll be on the side. You want cat soup, bring yer own. My wife insists I make them this way & is her yard stick for burgers. If it make others happy, I’m ecstatic. 🕶

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Cat soup? I guess you got a point there. See https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewziegl...ctually-liquid

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I do the smashed burgers with Lipton onion soup mix. I let the meatballs sit with the mix in it for a good while (4 hrs and up to a day).

I have been making Kenji smashburgers ever since he did his Shake Shack knockoffs on America's Test Kitchen years ago. Some of the best burgers ever. I am a huge fan of plain, grilled burgers but when I really want to make a good burger it is smashing all the way.

Comment

I did a variation a month ago, copied from Kosmos Q onion burger. I used a mandolin to thinly slice some vidalia onions and cooked smash burgers. My kids LOVED them. My wife, not so much. She prefers burgers the old fashioned way, not smash burgers......
            They cooked up nicely on my Primo cast iron. That thing is a tank and I didn't worry about scraping the seasoning off with my spatula. I will however minimize the use of ghee before I put the burger down, I like that idea.

Comment

I haven't quite managed to perfect this technique quite yet, but if you like smash burgers, you have to try a Lacy-Edge Burger. In this video they start talking about them at around 1:45. The whole video is awesome as are the burgers I've made based on the video, but the lacy-edge ones are awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here