Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Tempeh Burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Tempeh Burger

I have decided to try a few different vegetarian options to extend my repertoire. Plus it's fun to change up my game. There's a vegetarian product called Tempeh, which is (usually) fermented soy beans. As you can see from the photos there's a mycelia in between the beans. In contrast to Tofu these beans are left whole or intact. It doesn't have to be soy beans, in my case I found a good product made from yellow peas, fermented the same way.

I gotta say I really like this one. Expecially the texture. To give it a flavor boost I marinated the Tempeh in a light (but top quality) soy sauce for a few hours. I wanted to bring salt level and flavor up. I then grilled them and I grilled mango slices, and started building my burger. From bottom to top I stacked:
    1. Bottom bun
    2. BBQ Sauce
    3. Patty #1 (with grated pecorino cheese)
    4. Mango
    5. Patty #2 (with grated pecorino cheese)
    6. Mango
    7. Mache lettuce
    8. Truffle mayo
    9. Top bun

I'm gonna try using Tempeh in other dishes, 'cause this one has potential, no doubt. Any one else tried it? What are your experiences?

Here's the Tempeh, I cut it in burger like patties

Click image for larger version

Name:	TempehBurger_raw.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	742833

Grilling them over high direct heat using the SnS (that's grated pecorino cheese on top)

Name:	TempehBurger_cheese.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	742835

And here it is - pretty darn tasty! Fancy a bite?

Name:	TempehBurger.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	742834

Hmmmm. I'd have to sidle up to this notion, Henrik , but if anyone can convince me, it's you. Was there a charcoal/smokey/grilled flavor to it? With two slices of mango, I'm guessing this sammie was on the sweet side?

It sure looks great in the photo.

Kathryn

Comment

^^^^Agreed, I'm not really feeling any of this plant based product yet.
      I'm giving some more time to see whether its fact of fad.
      Looks delicious.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks.

Comment

I might try Worcestershire sauce rather than straight soy, but that is my taste. Yours sounds good to. Can you give us the exact mixture you used. X part yellow peas to y part light soy that would sure help us replicate your delicious looking results.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            It'll be in his next cookbook.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I added 1 tbsp soy sauce per patty if that helps. But this was a light soy sauce. You may want to use less of the "ordinary" soy sauce.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Henrik. Will give these a try the next time my veggy friends are over.

Hmmm...Tempeh, eh? Not too sure about grilling a burger, but yours looks pretty tasty! I might have try it as a substitute for tofu in hot & sour soup.

Comment

I like your pairing and way of thinking. Most soy based products are pretty bland so amping it up, especially with the mango, would probably be tasty and nice to the palate. Not my cup of tea but I applaud your venturing into the unknown. Plant based food seems to be catching on here in the States, even got Taco Bell, McDonald's and Burger King hopping on board !!

Comment

Overall this was good fun testing, and it's nice to have in my arsenal if and when vegetarians are guests. I haven't smoked it yet, but it definitely tasted grilled if that makes sense. I'll test it out some more, in between all the meat I cook on my smokers.

Comment

Looks great! I've rarely cooked with tempeh but I've had it a lot. It definitely has a nice texture and a good hearty flavor. Although I've never had it made with peas. Speaking of texture, you should give jackfruit a go sometime if you haven't already.

Name:	2RjaGoSKAVgcSeI5hsIOS7zeWMNb3NdYLotnFF9gvqTe052yRwniBNsiORB2-e9sru0fnbyIRJ5zvRVUeExn9DLjNodPMofpZN628cSZeEWJG6Bnj9628jGRX17W2cPQI1qO8eckj2ZWaZrAIG9sWanJKAv5B1Wh9weSNyYhEp0_b9D_a4B5ebg0Cfei4tka0rHbMpb91xLOPdIjVrAFXu5Gt0eSI83NPTKh2roJZehs8njIMd9Ncf9HwQw7s0l
Views:	204
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	742960

Comment

I used tempeh once in a Thai dish called Pad Kee Mao, commonly known as Drunken Noodles. (My daughter's boyfriend was being vegan at the time. He has since seen the light.) Meh. Not my cup of tea.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You probably run the risk of making the Tempeh soggy in a dish like Pad Kee Mao—stick with pork for Drunken Noodles. I think Henrik's grilled tempeh strategy makes more sense.

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I should add that besides texture I'm sure you lost a lot of flavor from the lack of fat.

With all due respect, No Thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here