Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salvaging 90/10 ground beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salvaging 90/10 ground beef

My wife went to Sam’s and Walmart without me this morning, before I woke up, and hauled back 12 pounds of 90/10 ground beef. I made the mistake of letting out a little ‘oh no’ as I was unloading the trunk, and after she forced me to say what I was saying that about - Namely that I only buy 80/20 ground chuck (and she has been told this many times, but I didn’t say that) - and then an ensuing argument over how unappreciative I am for all she does, I’ve got to figure out how to make use of this without having dry burgers.

Will smash burgers work ok with this grade of beef? Or will I need to mix in something to up the fat content? Maybe chop or grind up a pound of bacon to mix in by hand? I really don’t want to use the food processor as that will alert her that I am up to something...

Thanks,

- An unappreciative jerk in Alabama....

I know most burger guys just want meat, but I would go the meatloaf route if you want burgers. We sometimes use 93/07 and mix it with Worcestershire, egg, breadcrumbs and pepper and make really nice burgers.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I normally do smash burgers and mix in pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. I can easily mix in some egg and worchestershire sauce. We don’t have bread in the house other than the buns for the burgers though...

Chopped onion, green pepper, s and p a dash of your fav BBQ sauce. The veg will add a little moisture.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I like this idea better than mixing in eggs.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Adding eggs and bread make it meatloaf IMO.

Can you get some fat or lard to mix in? Or get some 70/30 grind and mix. Good to know I’m not the only unappreciative husband on earth!

Comment

Shepard's Pie....lots of gravy....
    At then end of a smoke I make burgers out of the same Walmart blend.
    Open up the dampers on the Keg, get it real hot and toss them on, 10-12 mins per side and they are reasonably moist.
    Guess you could always mix in an egg or two for conventional BBQing, or whatsdisheresauce or onions/peppers.
    She'll see right thru you but who knows she may like it.
    -An unappreciative stupid idiot jerk in Mississauga-

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Ideas, added to Cast Iron list..
      -An unappreciative stupid idiot jerk in Mississauga-
      Reckon I've never seen ya in that wise, Brother

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have my moments....

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, ya do...

I can't help you out with the ground beef matter but to get your point across to Mrs. JFMorris may I suggest the following.

Admit that you were wrong to be unappreciative of all that she does and buy her some flowers that are 90% DOA (dried out and lucky to last a day).

I think it is called "killing two birds with one stone".

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, you want me to be in the dog house even worse than I am now....

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Practicin my 'Duck An Cover' drills, in case he actually does...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 31, 2019, 11:03 AM.

I keep Brisket fat in the freezer for such ‘emergencies’. I just grind it into the mix. If no fat available, just use bacon. Forget all the fancy home remedies, fat rules and solves all ills !!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      yup

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. If you don’t have any you’ll have to go buy a brisket, trim it to make your burgers and dry brine the brisket it for tomorrow.

You can probably add fatback from the grocery store etc if needed.

• binarypaladin
      binarypaladin commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Bacon. I picked up some 85/15 at Costco today because that’s what they had. Rather than add bacon as a topping, I’ll chop it up and mix it in.

Oh, how do I hate thee 90/10. Let me count the ways. Soak bread crumbs in water for more moisture, then fine chop peppers, onions and celery, about 1/2 cup per lb. and 1egg per lb. to hold it together as you don't have enough fat to do so. I also add some Worcestershire sauce.

Comment

Instead of breadcrumbs i like to add ground up pork rinds. Fat and flavor. For a non burger route, i like the suggestion of shepherds pie or also an excellent option is a big pot of bolognese. Freezes well and you wont notice any difference between 90/10 and 80/20.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to recommend a nice red sauce with ground beef and mushrooms. I saute ground beef add in garlic powder, onion powder, S&P. A jar of good quality pasta sauce and some red wine. Simmer for an hour. Add mushrooms and cook just til tender. Serve over pasta with plenty of grated cheese. My kids love it and call it Daddy's Famous Pasta.

dice up bacon and add. If you want to get adventurous do bacon, jalapeno and some extra sharp cheddar. The cheddar caramelized when you smash it. Yum

Comment

I would use it for bolognese sauce, vegetable soup with hamburger, or sloppy joes. Something with liquid involved. Then go buy your normal mix for hamburgers.

Comment

For burgers mix in some fat. It should be fine on its own for tacos, weeknight chili, etc.

Comment

I agree with adding fat. I have had success by grating in cold butter before I mix. No meat grinder required and the butter adds a little something. If you use salted butter remember to reduce the amount of salt in your seasoning.

Comment

• binarypaladin
              binarypaladin commented
              Editing a comment
              I was going to use bacon like I always do.

I might try this. Plus butter browns wonderfully.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I was here to recommend butter. Either cold in the mix or as a topper after smashing.

• Smokerstoker
              Smokerstoker commented
              Editing a comment
              The best burgers I have made were done by mixing in butter.

It's sometimes difficult to find 80/20 minced meat (ground beef these parts has that added powder and water stuff to the minded meat) so most of the time it's supposed to be 90/10 and it's not labelled so at most meat suppliers. I still use it for making my smash burgers and they come out fine, just not as juicy as the 80/20.
            Sometimes I find what is supposed to be 90/10 visually looks more like 70/30 so it's possible a lot of the time the minced meat I get is closer to 80/20.

Comment

Kenji has a recipe for meatballs that he adds pancetta and unflavored gelatin to. It might be worth a read, and you don't need to do all the "meatball stuff".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here