Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burger Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burger Press

Help from the Group here desperately needed...to press or not to press; that is the question? I’ve heard lots of different opinions.

Nothing wrong with a press though you need to be really careful that you don't over work the meat or your burgers will be tough.

Comment

And I have no doubt you will continue to hear lots of different opinions. I have two presses:

Single press.

Production press.

The first is fine for making a few patties. You can adjust the thickness, but you do need to purchase film to keep the meat from sticking, which isn't so bad as there are a million uses for it. But it can be a chore and it is faster to make them by hand.

The second will make them fast, but you really need to be doing some volume, and you need a grinder. The film isn't necessary for production, but is for keeping the patties from sticking together when you freeze them.

I finally got away from using them. For the single use, I find smash burgers easier, and if I am going to put them on the grill I hand press. Since it is just my wife and me I don't need to do a lot. I finally started packing my grind into two pound chubs rather than making patties, quicker, takes up less space in the freezer, and more versatile. I can take out the chub and do whatever I want with the meat. But if I were to be grilling a large volume of burgers, I would use it.

Really comes down to personal preference, do you want perfectly formed patties and are willing to spend some cash and put some effort into it? Then a press is for you. Don't care what the patties look like? Then hand forming is for you.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the same single press one. Love it!

Just to clarify, are you asking about pressing burgers while grilling them, or using a burger press to make them?

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
        Jmccloskey659 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Huskee...talking about using a burger press to make them (would never press while grilling thanks to advice from this Group)!

Using a press be careful not to over work the meat before placing it in the press and the do not over press. You want the meat to just hold together. And by no means do not add any seasonings to the meat.

Comment

Smash

Comment

I mostly do smash burgers these days, however, I do use my press every time I make Juicy Lucys!

Comment

Depends on the ground meat. My stuff works much better in the press. Ground meat from the slaughter-house back home can easily be formed by hand.

Comment

I don't use a press, but that's because I don't have one. Adding your spices (except salt) into the meat ahead of time works well, as does some fish sauce when you patty them!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Fish sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, all have salt. I used to use Worcestershire, but quit when the burgers got gummy.. I liked the flavor though, maybe I used to much.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here