Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burgerless BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burgerless BBQ?

This is dumb but caused a fairly lively discussion at work: Work pal claims that one cannot "have" or "host" a BBQ without burgers - basically claiming that it isn't a BBQ unless burgers are part of it. I of course tell him that he is nuts and claim that anytime one is BBQing it is a BBQ. He then goes on to say that if he was invited to a BBQ and then no burgers were there he would kick me in the jimmy and leave.

Besides needing new friends, thoughts on this admittedly asinine conversation?

Personally, I'd say that burgers are not BBQ. They are grilling, and very tasty, but not BBQ. But that's just me.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      +3

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      -1. I would respectfully disagree, by definition bbq is the cooking out doors over live fire. That by definition includes smoking, grilling and even pellet cooking, all use live fire.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I am hobbled by my raising Where I grew up in NC BBQ is a noun, and specifically means pork. While I have grown to love lots of other variations, I still enjoy trying to get a rise out of my Texas in-laws...

Reckon he's entitled to his own opinions, an definitions, though I don't feel myself mandated to share them, much less comply...
    I'd simply use his own words:

He then goes on to say that if he was invited to a BBQ and then no burgers were there he would kick me in the jimmy and leave.
    an Not Invite him... Let him hear from other coworkers how great it was...

Hail, reckon, if it was me??? I'd even make some burgers, to rub it in... Doubtless, I'd also bring some in to work, microwave em fer lunch, so he could smell em, too...

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you sure we're not related?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb HeeHee, it's certainly possible, Brother!

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Make some burgers. Top them with pulled pork and homemade slaw and be sure to bring them into work the next day and reheat gently in the microwave before putting in a freshly toasted bun and eating it all within nose-shot of him.

Test him on that. Invite him to a bbq, cook up some ribs and butts, wear an iron cup, and watch him break his foot when he kicks you.

Comment

• Arsenlael
      Arsenlael commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I've got to find an iron cup. Maybe they have one that earned at least a gold pick on the site! I'll make burgers just to spite him (thanks Bones)

• ribeyeguy
      ribeyeguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Like everything else, I'm sure Amazon has a wide variety of iron cups.

If you light a fire outside, and use it to cook, then you have a bbq. What you are bbqing on that fire is irrelevant.

That being said, he was probably just trying to pull your buttons. Push your chain. You know. Messin’ wit’ ‘cha.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed.

Cook em a veggie or a plant based burger, that'll shut him up....

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      ...or a well done meteorite

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      and forget to buy buns....that'll be the icing on the cake, you'll never hear from the guy again

"BBQ" is both a noun and a verb and how it is used is quite likely just due to regional variation.

When I use it to "invite folks over for a bbq" what that means is I'm having a cookout and there will likely be a variety of proteins (almost certainly to also include burgers and dogs) and veggies prepared in a variety of ways on a variety of grills/smokers/parillas/wok/fondue pot/whateva.

When I invite folks over to "eat some bbq" I intend that to mean that I've done a brisket or a pork butt in one of my smokers in the previous ten hours or so and I'm willing to share some, along with a couple of sides.

When I invite folks over for a whole hog I don't call that a bbq cuz that would be wrong - that's a pig pickin.

In the "come eat some bbq" or "pig-pickin" instances if I know young kids will be coming I'll also have a few burgers and dogs at the ready. If your work pal were to attend I'd be more than happy to plate him a burger and some potato chips and pour him a drink in a "sippy cup" and point him in the direction of the kiddies table.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what does he call it when you serve grilled or smoked meats, but no burgers? Let's just say, for sake of argument, a "cook out". Invite him and a bunch of co-workers or friends over for a "cook out" and serve pulled pork and brisket. Have it planned so that everyone says things such as "great BBQ" "love the BBQ" "best BBQ I've been invited to in a long time".

If you don't want to go to that much trouble, find a BBQ restaurant that does not serve burgers and plan a work lunch there. Then in the middle of the meal ask, "So Joe, how can they call this a BBQ restaurant if they don't serve burgers? Maybe you should go over and cook the pitmaster in the jimmy."

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        So how do you know his name is Joe?

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        Troutman The OP PM'd me that his name was Steve Troutman, but I used 'Joe' so that he would remain anonymous. ;-)

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        And I really appreciate that, anonymity is my middle name

I agree they seem to be synonymous with a cookout, just like hotdogs/brats, and "BBQ" seems to be synonymous with any cookout to most people, whether grilling or whatever.

Purely based on how I think of it (not based on a dictionary definition, or even Meathead's definition):
      • If I invite you over for "BBQ" there will not be burgers.
      • I will invite you over for "burgers" if I am cooking burgers, same as I'd invite you over for "steak" if I am grilling steaks.
      • "BBQ" to me means ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc.
      • I don't even classify smoked chicken as "BBQ" to be honest, I would say "BBQ chicken" or "smoked chicken" if it's chicken.

This is purely based on what *I* would expect if I were invited somewhere for any of the above, so that's how I word it. If you invite me over for BBQ and there's burgers, dogs, and chicken legs I wold be grateful of course and I'd love it, but I'd think to myself "man this isn't 'BBQ' ".

Comment

Thinking about it, it’s actually a cookout. A cookout could include everything and anything. It could have bbq, it could have hot dogs. It could have shrimp on the barbie, along with chicken and steaks. It could have brisket and ribs. It could have all of the above!

Comment

Well, my buddy feels that Histrix is the only one that "knows what’s up" when it comes to this thread. 😂😂😂. All of you make this a fun conversation.

Monkey wrench: What if I only cook a pizza out on the grill? Would seem to not be right calling it a cookout, bbq, pig pickin, grillapalooza, etc.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Just pizza would be a-bar-be-a-que-a

I've found myself having to correct my families who are all from the Northeast. If you're serving me burgers, hot dogs, brats, sausage, and/or chicken breasts you've grilled hot and fast, that's a "cookout," not a "BBQ." BBQ is slow going, and IMHO, much more satisfying.

Comment

How many "real" BBQ joints serve burgers or dogs?

Not many.

Comment

When I grew up in western Iowa, as I recall no one used the word "barbecue" to mean an event that one went to or an activity that one did. Barbeque was an adjective to explain that the meat was coated in barbecue sauce rather than plain. I'm afraid I grew up in a remote backwater as far as being taught the finer points of what y'all call barbeque.

Anyways, when we had "cookouts" when my dad grilled for friends and family, the kids often ate burgers and dogs while the grownups ate steak.

Comment

Here’s the disconnect Arsenlael - your buddy is a grill guy, not a BBQ guy. 💁‍♂️

There IS a difference. 😇

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here